• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tanganyika Community

tash

Members
so far I only have 5 julis....

IMG_1319escopy.jpg

IMG_1299escopy.jpg

tash

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Feb 11 2008, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The top two look like a pair. My experience with Julies is that after about 6 months you'll have about 50...

....[/b]

they are still kinda small though. how big do they have to be before they start pairing/spawing?

right now they have all disappeared into the rocks. I haven't seen them all afternoon :shrug:

dogofwar

CCA Members
About 2" is when mine have started...maybe even smaller for females.

The first indications I have that they've bred is that you see little ones swimming around.

Feed them, give them water changes, don't mess with the tank too much (or provide aggressive tankmates)...and there will be babies.

Just like with brichardi, several generations will live together without issue.

They look happy!

tash

Members
these aren't really close to 2" yet... maybe about 1"... 1.5 tops for the big one......

I plan to get some cyps and some occies to go with them :D

DeeCee

Members
Alright! Tash has :animal0028: :animal0028: :animal0028:

Sure beats having an empty tank sitting around, doesn't it?

Nice pix, too!

DC

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ Feb 11 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Alright! Tash has :animal0028: :animal0028: :animal0028:

Sure beats having an empty tank sitting around, doesn't it?

Nice pix, too!

DC[/b]

Yup, Tash. That's real progress. Got rid of the fish and plants you didn't want. Made someone else really happy too. Now your tank is beginning to look like you want it to. Congrats!
Later,
Marge

tash

Members
yep. still need to finish a diy filter I am making and a canopy too..

ok... I just looked over and there is a CAN OF POP on top of my tank :eek: I don't even drink pop! :p

anyway, here is what the tank looks like now:
IMG_1358escopy.jpg

it is hard to tell but there are two piles of rocks, with some more rocks along the back.

and here is before I got rid of all the plants on sat :lol: :
IMG_1201escopy.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Wow - big difference!

One suggestion: lower the heater so that it's less visible. Not that any of my flowerpot and PVC tanks hold a candle to that :)

If you lower the heater you should probably move it more to the middle to keep it in the flow of the powerhead you have in that corner. Great looking tank.

Rob

tash

Members
actually I am building a filter this week (it is curing right now) and I will be hiding the heater in the filter and moving the powehead. My husband doesn't want to see ANYthing that isn't "pretty" :lol: He wants to get rid of the "cheesy" background too. Not that I blame him. So the appearence stuff still has a ways to go :D

At least the rocks in the background and your tank are similar so that it doest jump out at you as being out of place. Look forward to seeing the set up when its finished.

longstocking

Members
lol ha ! at least you have a back ground on your tank. Half of mine are painted and half aren't ! It's a really ugly room !

Nice tank and fish.

Now to just get Bill to do the lights for the other half of the room ! Why did I pick a hobby that has NO END !

DeeCee

Members
Very nice, Julie! Much better with less plants, for sure!
LOL, can't believe you actually say "pop" -- I was starting to think I was the only one who called it that out here!

Woooo Hoooo!

DC

tash

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ Feb 12 2008, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
LOL, can't believe you actually say "pop" -- I was starting to think I was the only one who called it that out here!

Woooo Hoooo!

DC[/b]

even my husband calls it "soda". it doesn't say "soooodddaaa" it says "pop,pop,pop,pop" :lol: (I don't drink the stuff, it's creepy, talking drinks and all.....:lol: )

I built most of a canopy today. it looks MUCH better with that. it needs to warm up just a little so I can go buy rocks for the background....

anyone see why java kept coming up on sat?

Sonny Disposition

I think the "soda" vs. "pop" thing depends on what part of the country you're from. I've heard the term "soda pop," so I guess that's where it comes from. "Soda," I think, is more of a New York area term.

But I agree. I don't drink the stuff either. My son and I did a google search for a school talk he had to give. The estimates were 10 to 12 teaspoons of sugar in every can. (I'd never get down to marathon weight drinking that stuff!)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ Feb 12 2008, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Woooo Hoooo!

DC[/b]

tash

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Feb 13 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the "soda" vs. "pop" thing depends on what part of the country you're from. I've heard the term "soda pop," so I guess that's where it comes from. "Soda," I think, is more of a New York area term....[/b]
my husband grew up two miles away from me. :lol: we rode the same bus!

actually I think it used to be soda everywhere but the midwest. then soda started taking over and now most people call it that.

did anyone see the care-a-mel vs carm-el tv commercial a few years ago? you could go online to vote. Ohio was one of the few that said carm-el. I had actually never heard care-a-mel before :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Feb 13 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But I agree. I don't drink the stuff either. My son and I did a google search for a school talk he had to give. The estimates were 10 to 12 teaspoons of sugar in every can. (I'd never get down to marathon weight drinking that stuff!)
....[/b]
my husband gets the diet stuff for just that reason. but that is even grosser :p

longstocking

Members
lol ha !!!

And then you go to Cali ... and they don't use either. They call all soda "coke". Makes no sense what so ever ! But everyone looks at you weird if you call "coke", "pop" or"soda" ... soda is some what ok to call it but...you still get a look like you were born the the 50's :lol:

For example... if someone asked you to go to the store for a party etc... they would say " pick up some cokes and chips for me" .... that meaning, any type of soda.

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tash @ Feb 12 2008, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yep. still need to finish a diy filter I am making and a canopy too..

ok... I just looked over and there is a CAN OF POP on top of my tank :eek: I don't even drink pop! :p

anyway, here is what the tank looks like now:
IMG_1358escopy.jpg

it is hard to tell but there are two piles of rocks, with some more rocks along the back.

and here is before I got rid of all the plants on sat :lol: :
IMG_1201escopy.jpg
[/b]

Wow. Sure underscores the difference habitat makes. Totally different population of fish belong in each of the tank arrangements shown. The variety of fish, and set-ups is one of the things that make this hobby interesting. Look up a fish and it could be from any type of setting. Look up a cichlid...think its mostly stones, rocks, and hiding places.
Thanks for putting your tank story in pic form.. I am looking forward to the final stocked version. (oh , that's right...this is a never ending story!)
Later,
Marge

tash

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Feb 13 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
lol ha !!!

And then you go to Cali ... and they don't use either. They call all soda "coke". Makes no sense what so ever ! But everyone looks at you weird if you call "coke", "pop" or"soda" ... soda is some what ok to call it but...you still get a look like you were born the the 50's :lol:

For example... if someone asked you to go to the store for a party etc... they would say " pick up some cokes and chips for me" .... that meaning, any type of soda.[/b]

my mom says "coke" to mean cola. people ask her what she wants in restraunts and she says "coke" then they ask if pepsi is ok and she says that she actually prefers pepsi :rolleyes:
(she is also from ohio)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Feb 13 2008, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Wow. Sure underscores the difference habitat makes. Totally different population of fish belong in each of the tank arrangements shown. The variety of fish, and set-ups is one of the things that make this hobby interesting. Look up a fish and it could be from any type of setting. Look up a cichlid...think its mostly stones, rocks, and hiding places.
Thanks for putting your tank story in pic form.. I am looking forward to the final stocked version. (oh , that's right...this is a never ending story!)
Later,
Marge[/b]

yeah. total diffrence just with changing substrate, rocks, and plants. It was a nicely planted tank, I kinda feel bad changing it, but I wanted a Tanganyika tank for awhile now.