• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frontos with white poop

Poekin

Members
I have a thread over on MFK but wanted to get more opinions. I'll just cut and paste my stuff from there:
I've been zoning out to my Frontosa tonight (as usual) and i noticed that one had a long white poo hanging. To be honest, i'm a little freaked out. My first reaction to seeing white feces is "BLOAT!". But to me, that makes no sense.

There are 12 2-3" frontosa in the tank along with 3 calvus, 3 syno cats and 5 yellow labs. Everyone seems to be doing great. Even the frontosa with the white poop seems to be behaving normally. Everyone seems to be eating unless i haven't noticed something wrong. Is there any situation where white is normal???

Hopefully i'm just overreacting, but if the front's are sick i want to catch it early.

Update:

Did a 50% water change and treated the tank with metro and one tablespoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons. Not feeding the fish for a few days because i believe this is due to overfeeding. At this point the same frontosa has a white poo hanging. He seems to be the only one that has the poo and that is breathing heavily. Everyone else seems to be doing fine but i still treated the whole tank.

I think i will wait until tomorrow and then feed them a small amount of NLS that has been soaked in a little water/metro mix. Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would hate to lose one of my fronts.

So thats it. This started friday night when i noticed the one frontosa with the white, stringy poop. He seems to be doing fine, but is still breathing a little heavy. I also noticed a different front with the same white poop, so it looks like another frontosa has the same problem.

Its been almost 48 hours since the first metro/epsom treatment. I will dose again after the 48 hours is up. I still haven't fed the poor guys.

Lively

Members
Just went through the same thing with my fish - did the same thing you did and took a couple of days for the poo to get to normal - but it did and mine are fine :)

Good luck!

Blu

Members
White poo is an indication of internal parasitic... Gross things in the digestive tract. If white and stringy=worms. Cipro!