• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

125 new world tank?

daninmd

Members
I have a 125 that's been running as an African cichlid tank for a long time. starting to consider going to the dark side and getting some big boys. its a standard 125 (6' by 18").

So looking for some ideas on stocking. Only parameters would be nothing that gets too large, too expensive, is not a total killer and that I can get locally. And fish that look nice too (no big brown fish)

Love festae but they definitely don't fit in the budget.

thoughts??

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Maybe look into geophagus sp. red head Tapajos. You could also do a pair of a larger fish, like severum, festivum, or the like to occupy some space higher in the water column.

Becca

Members
We really love our B. cupidos. Other earth-eater types are lovely and relatively un-killer-ish, as well.

I have a personal affinity for Guianacara owoewrefi, but good luck finding them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Josh has "red terrors" - check with him if they're festae or uros - for $8 on his list...

Matt

rich_one

Members
Also, if you want festae, tparker has some high quality juvies and I bet he'd give you a good price. Shoot him a pm.

-Rich

blkmjk

Members
I would do SA community. Discus, small acaras, and dwarf pikes. Throw in some red hook SD's and call it done! Don't forget the plants and drift wood.

Drew

verbal

CCA Members
Green Terrors and Severums are good options for big showy fish that aren't too aggressive and fairly available. Adding in some earth earters a and you are pretty close to a full tank.

Although you probably would need to add some catfish :)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Dan,

My double-stacked 6 footers in my rec room are my new world "showy" tanks.

The 150 on top is a somewhat peaceful South American setup with RO water and lots of plants. It has groups of Krobia guianensis, Geophagus parnabae, chocolate cichlids, a few cories, plecos, some larger oddball tetras and a few of the (reasonably sized) Anostomus and Abramites.

My 125 has no plants, lots of wood and gets tap water (a bit on the hard side). It is not peaceful. It currently groups of Hondoran Red Points, Paratheraps breidohri and Herichthys carpintis. At some point, there will likely be two pairs of big fish with HRPs hiding somewhere.

Both very different setups... one much more stable than the other, lol.

It would be tough to mix fish from either of these tanks, so start there with which type of setup you want... bigger, more aggressive fish or more of a community? Hard or soft water? Plants or no plants?

Both tanks are up there in my favorites. Easy to get lost staring at them.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I haven't seen red heads available recently locally, but Jeff Rapps usually has them and he is coming down for Catfish Convention next weekend.

daninmd

Members
Hey Dan,

My double-stacked 6 footers in my rec room are my new world "showy" tanks.

The 150 on top is a somewhat peaceful South American setup with RO water and lots of plants. It has groups of Krobia guianensis, Geophagus parnabae, chocolate cichlids, a few cories, plecos, some larger oddball tetras and a few of the (reasonably sized) Anostomus and Abramites.

My 125 has no plants, lots of wood and gets tap water (a bit on the hard side). It is not peaceful. It currently groups of Hondoran Red Points, Paratheraps breidohri and Herichthys carpintis. At some point, there will likely be two pairs of big fish with HRPs hiding somewhere.

Both very different setups... one much more stable than the other, lol.

It would be tough to mix fish from either of these tanks, so start there with which type of setup you want... bigger, more aggressive fish or more of a community? Hard or soft water? Plants or no plants?

Both tanks are up there in my favorites. Easy to get lost staring at them.

Thanks Tony. looking for low maintenance. No plants, no RO. I think I want some bigger fish just want to make sure they are ok in the 125.

daninmd

Members
Just googled these, really look nice: Paratheraps breidohri and Herichthys carpintis.

blkmjk

Members
My bredohri were some of my favorite fish I think Rich still has the pair. I really like the Rio hondo carpintis that Dan at COA carries from time to time.

Drew

rich_one

Members
The male killed the female after a spawning attempt a while back... but yep... I still have the male!

-Rich

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App