• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

fish names

illpoet

Members
So i'm at work again with a few hours to kill and i figured i'd start up another thread. my question for this one is Do you name your fish? i don't name all of mine but if a fish stands out he or she will usually get a name. For example my 9 year old jack dempsey is called "surly jack" because well, he's really surly. Also i have a one eyed kribensis named willy and a pleco named fatty.

verbal

CCA Members
I usually buy my fish in groups, so they don't really get named. A couple of male breeders have gotten names.

If I got a "wet pet" it probably would get a name.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I always tell folks that naming a fish is the quickest way to ensure that it will drop dead within a couple of weeks/months. Bad juju imo.

rich_one

Members
Like Rachel, my oscar is the only one with a name. His personality MAKES me have to name him. He's like a dog! LOL...

-Rich

Julie

Members
The only fish I have that has a name is Sophie, the first stingray pup that I bred! (My daughter named her)

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I have a gourami that I haven't been able to species ID. It doesn't look like any gourami I've ever seen in person or on the web. It was sold to me as a "dwarf honey". It killed my actual sunset honey gouramis and 2 hatchet fish. This fish runs my 29 gallon community tank. It has been named Brimstone (its a burnt brownish red color).

My JD is named Morelli.

chriscoli

Administrator
My large pleco is named Sir Poopsalot, two botias are named Big Mikey and Little Mikey and my Ctenopoma acutirostre is named Leafy Guy (or Leafy Dude, depending on the day). One angelfish is named Stripey Guy.

Most of this is either a result of trying to point out something interesting going on in my tank to my husband, or by my husband trying to ask me if what the fish are doing is "normal." (usually, the conversation starts out as, "Hey Honey?...you might want to take a look at your tank...)

Oh, and thanks to the TV show, Better off Ted, my Yellow labs are known to my husband as the Lemon-Flavored Fish.