• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sick fish need opinions

cmcpart0422

Members
Well I sure think hes sick but he isnt acting like it. A few days ago i noticed that this guy was extremely bloated almost as if he swallowed a ping pong ball. Put him in a 10 gallon hospital tank and started treating him with clout and some epsom salt. Its now been several days later and he hasent responded to any meds and is still as swollen as ever. The interesting thing is that he is acting normal. He eats and shows no sign or discomfort at all. He was even still trying to spawn with females when I first noticed the problem. His poop is very long and consists of section that are brown and section that are very thin white and stringy. Any ideas what up with him?

DSC05055.jpg

DSC05057.jpg

Travis

Members
His pufferfish alleles are just now becoming expressed? Only kidding, but that is a serious case of edema. If clout isn't working you might want to switch over to an antibiotic...

How old is he?

cmcpart0422

Members
His pufferfish alleles are just now becoming expressed? Only kidding, but that is a serious case of edema. If clout isn't working you might want to switch over to an antibiotic...

How old is he?

:lol: I forgot to laugh at that :lol:

Travis

Members
I've never used Metronidazole, but I believe it is also an anti-protozoan medication like clout. I think people on here lean towards Mela/Prima-fix for bacterial infections. I haven't used many medications so I can't really recommend one over the other. Hopefully someone else can. Bottom line is, if clout an anti-protozoan medication isn't working you might want to try an anti-bacterial medication.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Stop feeding him.

Digestion takes a lot of energy and it can only complicate whatever is going on with his guts. A week-long fast won't hurt and may just help to loosen things up in his GI tract.

fischfan13

Banned
Digestion takes a lot of energy and it can only complicate whatever is going on with his guts. A week-long fast won't hurt and may just help to loosen things up in his GI tract.

Couldn't agree more!
Give him plenty of fresh water with water changes as well.

Clout?
I would use that only as a last resort.
Epsom salt, 1 tbls per 5 gallons, should help too.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Dang dude. That looks somewhat uncomfortable.

+1 for water changes and epsom salt with no more food.