• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish that rear their young.

illpoet

Members
So what is a good cichlid that take care of their young really well? In my experience convicts do a great job! I haven't really had much luck with anything else but also i haven't really tried (wasn't really trying with the convicts either but they had their way, killing off the rest of their tank so they could raise their babies) i was thinking of setting up a small family tank with only a mom and a dad! any suggestions would be appreciated!

Lively

Members
No one will be shocked at my suggestion... lol

Jack Dempsey's are my personal favorite. I spent many enjoyable hours watching mine doing the whole mating thing and then raising the fry :)

But, a small tank isn't an option - 55 gallon is as "small" as you should go for a full grown pair.

Travis

Members
My Lamprologus stappersi/meleagris show a degree of parental care. The most enjoyable to me is when the female chews up food and spits it over the fry. Oh, and they're small.

verbal

CCA Members
Lamprologous Brichardi might be a good choice. They eventually will form a colony where the siblings help with the new fry.

Kribs are fairly easy to raise and if you plant the tank you can probably have multiple spawns in the same tank.

illpoet

Members
yeah i've always wanted to do jack dempseys but they wouldn't be happy in this tank, lol not too mention the fry probably grow really fast!

longstocking

Members
Here are some tangs that take care of fry.... 20 to 30 gallon would be fine for the following....

N. brichardi ( complex... there are tons of them )
N. brevis
N. multies
A. leptura
Chalinchromis brichardi

There are more but those are some off the top of my head...

Sonny Disposition

Salvini cichlids are a lot of fun, but, like a lot of bi-parental substrate spawners, they get really nasty and kill everything else in the tank with them. Jewel fish are also good parents.

So what is a good cichlid that take care of their young really well? In my experience convicts do a great job! I haven't really had much luck with anything else but also i haven't really tried (wasn't really trying with the convicts either but they had their way, killing off the rest of their tank so they could raise their babies) i was thinking of setting up a small family tank with only a mom and a dad! any suggestions would be appreciated!

ddavila06

Members
Kribs! pelvicachromis pulcher, they are great! they can be with other fish (as in will chase away but not likely to kill) and they have lots of color too :D i have a bunch, see the FS section :D

mscichlid

Founder
What size of a 'small' tank are you talkin'? I would say Apistogramma, but it would depend on the tank. I'd say a 20 long would be good for some of this species.

mrkillie

Members
I would go with a shellie or any of the smaller julies in a tank up to 20 gal, maybe an Apisto or Mikrogeophagus (depending on your water parameters!)