• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wanted mbuna/peacock breeders

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I agree with Holly. Besides this forum and our auctions, you also have aquabid and other forums to sell on, but it must be something the people want or it won't sell.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

daninmd

Members
So breeding is fine, If you're serious, you should talk to Matt or Tony to find out a particularly desireable fish whose fry would be valuable. A lot of the easiest to breed are over-represented in the club and you won't even be able to give them away.

I will offer one caveat. Yes, you can sell rare fish fry for decent money...but you quickly saturate the local market. Say you have a rare fish that you breed. You raise up the fry and sell off three or four groups of fry. But in six months those people may have raised them and have their own fry to sell. I think you have a few months to sell off your fry until the market is saturated and/or other people have them and you are competing against them...

I still don't think local fish clubs should be viewed as a source for making lots of money. I am importing a group of rare fish next week, I am sure I will sell off their fry to club members until everyone has what they want. Maybe I make my money back for purchasing them, maybe I don't but that's not the point. I would rather make sure lots of people are keeping the fish locally

There is a very small number of people that can make a living selling fish, and those are typically larger operations and are mail order.

daninmd

Members
haha. yeah, the SA/CA cichlids get saturated even faster with some of the large number of fry!

Why arent we flooded with Apistograms yet! looking for some

dogofwar

CCA Members
The irony is that a few years ago, there were no rainbows in our area. I had to get some from a buddy in Tennessee! It would revert back to that situation if the few people in our club who breed and raise them stopped. Rinse. lather. repeat.

The "hot" fish one minute is the one that no one is willing to take for free the next. Why would anyone bother to keep an attractive, mild-mannered, plant-friendly, easy to breed fish with interesting behavior and a max size of ~4" when no one else wants them?!?! :rolleyes:

I'd guess that the vast majority of folks who keep and breed <insert fish> do so because they enjoy the fish and not because they have plans to make their first million from the fry. Or even a buck a fish!

The breeding groups of wild, rare Tropheus that folks are begging people to buy at ~$10 / fish should put things into perspective. Or the bags of 2" rare mbuna and Haps at less than $1/fish at our auctions. I'm frankly surprised that more folks haven't stopped bringing fish to them.

I quit keep fish that other people might want..and keep the ones that I like. And I truly enjoy the hobby that much more for it. To paraphrase a man much wiser than me: Instead of trying to keep and breed everything, how about you get really good at keeping and breeding a couple of fish!

Matt

For the definition of saturated market please see my name next to rainbow cichlid!!:p

zackcrack00

Members
I am planning on a a HUGE Mbuna tank in December, what should I stock stockbitit with that people will buy? I don't care if people buy Demasoni, Rusties, and Yellow Labs. I am getting groups of them! What else though?

daninmd

Members
I am planning on a a HUGE Mbuna tank in December, what should I stock stockbitit with that people will buy? I don't care if people buy Demasoni, Rusties, and Yellow Labs. I am getting groups of them! What else though?

well if you are doing a large mbuna tank i would suggest you think about not keeping fry. once you get past a 4 foot tank that has a lot of rocks, it gets REALLY difficult to catch holding females. i have a 125 and its not heavily rocked and i usually dont catch females cause its too much work trying to get them.

chriscoli

Administrator
I think this thread has gotten a bit off topic. Maybe Zack should start a new thread so that we can discuss options with him.