• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Studies involving soy meal in fish diet

neut

Members
I've posted these before elsewhere. Thought I would share them here:

Personally, I'm not crazy about fish foods heavy with soy in the first place, but thought this would be of interest to those who might give their fish peas as a treat on occasion. According to this study, peas alone are ok, but not so good with feeds containing soy (as some fish foods do).
pea/soybean mix

Also:
Study with soybean meal Note: entertitis mentioned in the excerpt below refers to intestinal inflammation.
Lilleeng used soya meal as the source of his ingredients, which is known to contain a series of anti-nutrients and to disturb the intestinal function of salmon. Lilleeng showed that intestinal immune defences become activated immediately feeding with soya commences. He also showed that enzymes normally associated with protein digestion have abnormally high levels of activity in the intestines of salmon with enteritis as a result of soya feeding.

Last edited:

WendyFish

Members
Interesting, one thing I read when I first started looking at keeping cichlids is how often they are used for fish behavioral research -- because they're interesting (and aggressive, so you can do lots of experiments on how they form hierarchies, etc. -- interesting stuff). It has somewhat surprised me that whatever research that's being done doesn't really translate into the hobby discussion. Indeed, to me, a frustrating amount of the discussion seems like voodoo -- when in doubt, dump in some Clout; you have to have 12.4374 demasoni; and other myths, legends, and catch-alls.

If I'm missing good sources on that, please someone point me to them! And share everything you see my way!

What I wonder about this particular study, though, is whether the finding matters to fish other than salmon. Given what I read about my poor Malawians' special digestive tracts, I don't know whether to imagine that food oriented research would translate to them.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
What I wonder about this particular study, though, is whether the finding matters to fish other than salmon. Given what I read about my poor Malawians' special digestive tracts, I don't know whether to imagine that food oriented research would translate to them.

Probably but hard to say. Salmon are unusual in that they spawn/are born in freshwater but spend their lives at sea. Seems that this would impart them with more inherent resilience than other fish but could make them more vulnerable in some way as well. For my money I'd bet that if soya is bad for one species of fish then it's probably bad for others. Certainly no evolutionary precedent for it (in their diet) so why take the chance?

dogofwar

CCA Members
"Certainly no evolutionary precedent for it (in their diet) so why take the chance?"

It's cheap (and gets gov't subsidies)...which unfortunately has been the reason that we're all turning into corn...

Matt