• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello

rivka25

Members
I have been keeping aquariums for a long time. Unfortunately, My previous aquarium which was kept at a stocking density of 1 inch fish per 5-10 gallons has had a persistent breakout of mysterious deaths. Whenever I tried to add more fish, I would start to lose all the old fish at a rate of 1-2/week. This mystery has been going on for almost 8 years. The latest breakout of death, actually had one fish that showed symptoms before dying, which along with a bacterial infection I acquired from the tank helped me identify it as mycobacteria.:eek: I have since killed all the fish and sterilized or tossed everything tank related and I am trying to start over with a very limited budget (mostly spent already adding a UV filter and fresh substrate, not to mention I had just spend $70 on fish and plants only weeks before figuring out the problem).
Since I am starting from scratch I am going to try to do an amazon themed 55g with sand bottom. As amazonian inverts are not as prevalent in the fish trade I will be doing a mix of organisms from similar conditions but all amazonian fish.

my plan is:
black worms
malaysian trumpet snails
assassin snails if the trumpet snails get out of control
glass shrimp (yes probably food for everyone else)
cory cats
pair angels
some sort of apistos
maybe tetras or albino bristlenose pleco

I have no idea about the plants yet, I used to have some beautiful low light plants but I have not yet researched lowlight amazonian plants.

I would love feedback/ suggestions before I start stocking this tank since I will have a couple of weeks of cycling before I can start.

verbal

CCA Members
In terms of plants - a couple Amazon swords would be a great start for your tank. They maybe a little more in the moderate vs. low light spectrum and need good plant substrate, but other than that they are pretty easy.

I agree your stock list looks good.

rivka25

Members
Stock looks good to me. What is your filtration setup?

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

Well I was thinking about trying a version of deep sand bed, thus all the diggers. So sand bed 3-4 inches in 2/3 of the tank, rapidly sloping to 1 inch in other third. using a deep blue 40 sponge filter attached to an aquaclear 20 powerhead (125 g/ h), with the outflow running through a 9 watt uv filter this should give me level 1 filtration. if it looks like this is not working i will probably add back in the aquaclear 300 alongside the sponge filter.

It is cold in my house so i am using a 200 w jaeger heater, the last one just died a week ago.