• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filtration

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I bought some of that foam that Hans uses to try some intank filtration. I plan on working on it this weekend on a couple 10s and some of the 55's. Stephan, Hans and the pleco cave guy, Brantley are promoting it so I figured I would try some. I will let you know how it works. The 10's I have are on end so I got the black to put in the back of the tank and use it as the filter.
Pictures to come later.

kaj41354

Members
Pat,

Paul B has some set up and was so impressed he called me to tell me how well it worked. I will be interested to see your experience on a larger tank. His was a 15 I think.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I added it to 1 55gal last night. I put two 1/2" pipes in it. Think I need to put a 3rd for more flow. We will see.
Planning on doing the other 55s this weekend and a few 10's

kaj41354

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Dec 5 2008, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I added it to 1 55gal last night. I put two 1/2" pipes in it. Think I need to put a 3rd for more flow. We will see.
Planning on doing the other 55s this weekend and a few 10's
[/b]

I think what you will find is that 2 is plenty. The outflow doesn't look like much but, because of the surface area the flow volume is deceptively high. What I saw working looked like low flow but I did a test with some Seachem Stability (which temporarily turns cloudy) and what was going through the filter was more than it appeared. If you want to increase flow easier, put a reducing couple on the bottom and run an airstone below. . It makes a whirpool effect and increases flow tremendously. Got that info from Stephan. The other thing you do different is run the hose into the center of the couple instead of the elbow at top. For some reason I can't upload the diagram to the forum. I will email it to you

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
DIAGRAM.jpg

I got it on my photobucket and then on here.

marge618

CCA member
Pat,
You have chosen a great project for this weekend. Just in time for next Saturday's party. I would like to see how you set the new filtration material up! One more reason for everyone to come to the CCA Holiday Party at your place!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The ones for the 55 are in now.

I was told to use a serated knife to cut the foam and a t-square to make it straight. It does need to fit tight to stay in place on its own.
DSC_0045-1.jpg

I bought 1/2 inch drinking water grade PVC pipe and elbows. Both are cheap to buy and easy to use. I do not glue anything. You want to be able to take it apart.
DSC_0043.jpg

I love these PVC cutters. It is much better than the hack saw I used to use. Easy and no mess.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

So far I am using 2 pipes per sheet in the 55's. I put them near the ends and can always add another one in the middle if I want more flow. I drill the hole for the air about 3/4 the way down the pipe so the air has a lot of room to travel up the pipe. I feel I get better flow if the hose is low in the pipe. It also will still flow when the water is low that way.

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Pat, that's pretty awesome. What's the cost of this compared to the hydrosponges? It definitely looks like the better way to go, lotsa sponge.

Good job, you gonna post pics of the 10g set up too?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
With the retail price on this stuff, it is not cheaper. But I wanted to see. Plus you have more sponge area and its not in the way. The hydros always get in the way when netting and such. We will see.

Yes I will post the 10's too when I get a chance I will. Set up the same way as the 55's just that I have the tanks on end so the black is now my back ground.

kaj41354

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Dec 8 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
With the retail price on this stuff, it is not cheaper. But I wanted to see. Plus you have more sponge area and its not in the way. The hydros always get in the way when netting and such. We will see.

Yes I will post the 10's too when I get a chance I will. Set up the same way as the 55's just that I have the tanks on end so the black is now my back ground.
[/b]

The other thing to remember is that these will really outlast the hydros before needing replaced ....plus the filtration area is great

Sonny Disposition

That's just what I was thinking, exactly.

Thanks for posting this Pat. This is the kind of thing that makes this a great club. Learning something from a member, who's happy to share what they know, so that others can put it to use in their own fish rooms.

Pat, where do you order the blue foam? Is it available in bulk? I need to convert my own tanks from over-the-side filters, to some kind of centralized air systems.

I take it you just need to squeeze the foam out every couple of weeks or so?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Dec 7 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Looks like this would be a nice DIY article for the Biotope. :lol:[/b]

kaj41354

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonny Disposition @ Dec 9 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I take it you just need to squeeze the foam out every couple of weeks or so?[/b]

Bob,

According to the folks in Europe who have used this for years, you just take the foam out about once a year and "whack" the excess grunge out. like on the side of a sink or as Stephan Tanner told me, on the driveway! Do not squeeze or rinse that will kill all the good filtering bacteria. There are some who even "sew" java moss in the cells of the foam and end up with a foam/moss wall. They claim that the moss helps filter the water and because of the cell configuration does not clog the pores.

There is a real good instruction type page at Stephan Tanners Website

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Stephan sells it, Brantley from Plecocaves.com sells it at shows. Had it at the catfish convention. Hans uses it in his filtration system. Not sure if he will be selling it locally or not.
I thought about it...... lol figured I would test if first......
Not sure if Hans is coming to the party or not. If so, he could shed some light.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
It comes in a sheet. I did not measure the sheet its self. One sheet did 6 55-gallon tanks.

Sonny Disposition

OK. So the Web site says the cost is about $20 for a 10, 15, or 20 galon tank that "provides over 5 quarts of filter volume." "Compared to popular sponge filters that is a 3-10 fold larger filter the lasts at least 18-24 months between maintenance."

I don't doubt the claim. The price is a little on the high side. Cheaper than an over-the-side mechanical filter, but a little more expensive than an old fashioned box filter or a conventional sponge filter.

Has anyone in the club used them? Do you notice an appreciable difference, in terms of reduced maintenance, or healthier/faster growing fish, as compared with conventional filtration?

It's a lot of money to invest, but if you get dramtically different results, then I would think it would be worth the money. On the other hand, for the parsimonious, it might make more sense to use conventional box filters/sponge filters, and cultivate philodendron or pothos roots in the tank (leaves in the air), to soak up the NH4 before it can be converted by tank bacteria into nitrate.

If anyone has had success with these, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Dec 9 2008, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It comes in a sheet. I did not measure the sheet its self. One sheet did 6 55-gallon tanks. [/b]

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I think I am the first in the club. I think.
Hans used it but as a wet dry filter in his sumps. He also uses it as a divider and it acts like a filter as well.

The first time I saw it offered being used like I have it was at the ACA convention. I think its is fairly new in the US.
Like I said. All of mine are less than a week old. Will take a while to determine the value. I have 9 running right now. 6 55-gallons and 3 10-gallon tanks.

On my 55's I have been running 3 or 4 hydros plus an aquaclear 500. I hope to cut out some of the aquaclears so I can cut the electric bill some. I will go to 1 or 2 hydros.

Sonny Disposition

You're the trail blazer, Pat. If you think of it, can you let us know how they work out? In theory, it seems like a good idea, but, considering the price tag, I think I'll wait and see how you and anyone else who tries it makes out.

I can tell you that growing stem plants in the tank with the roots submerged and the leaves above water works really well. I have three tanks with that setup--a water lilly, a big bunch of bacopa, and a big pothos plant--and those are the tanks that do best when I fall behind on water changes.

Anyway, thanks for your post, and I'll anxiously await word of your progress.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Dec 9 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think I am the first in the club. I think.
Hans used it but as a wet dry filter in his sumps. He also uses it as a divider and it acts like a filter as well.

The first time I saw it offered being used like I have it was at the ACA convention. I think its is fairly new in the US.
Like I said. All of mine are less than a week old. Will take a while to determine the value. I have 9 running right now. 6 55-gallons and 3 10-gallon tanks.

On my 55's I have been running 3 or 4 hydros plus an aquaclear 500. I hope to cut out some of the aquaclears so I can cut the electric bill some. I will go to 1 or 2 hydros.

[/b]

mab

Members
We should check to see if Hans is willing to do a club group order at or near cost if we purchase in bulk - many full sheets, etc. Since I plan to run PVAS' group orders next year we could leverage the quantity by CCA and PVAS going together on the order.