• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

filtration for 55 gal

jstlstn

Members
Hello I have a friend that is setting up a 55 gal. He will be keeping maybe one of two Jack Dempsey's in it. He is looking for filtration that is cheap quiet and easy to maintain. I suggested maybe an AC70 or AC110. Which would suite his requirements better?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you go the HOB route, I would use multiple filters in case one of them fails. I used to run an AC70 and an AC110 on my 55 before switching over to a matten filter.

Depending on your definition of quiet, either air driven filters or HOBs will work, but neither are particularly "quiet" in my opinion. Canisters are pretty much silent, but fail in the "easy to maintain" area.

Howie

Members
ACs are the way to go IMO.

Cheaper alternative is a bigger sponge filter, but air pumps can be noisy and the gremlins can disconnect your airlines without warning. Install a check valve or else you will have a big mess on your hands.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I had a problem fitting an AC 70 over the trim of my 55. I had to go up to a AC 110 or get a different brand. Could just be my tank though.

Aqua410

Members
For one or two JD I would suggest more then one HOB. I have two AC110 on my 55 with a single GT. Big fish make big poops and need a decent bio filter to keep up with the mess. Also decent turn over is important to keep the water clean and oxygenated. In my ac110 I run the sponges along with ceramic rings and filter floss, I even have a packet of purigen stuffed in one of them.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I try to run at least 2 filters on every tank.Hence my electric bill. I would recommend a good HOB like and AC 110 and a cobalt EXT.both very easy to maintain and move lots of water.