• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Beware of fluval Q series

Aqua410

Members
I picked up a Q.5 a little over two months ago from pet smart and I came home earlier this week and it has already failed. I took off the top panel to see that the bellows is torn wide open. Poor craftsmenship or materials are to blame. Reading reviews shows a trend of failures with these pumps. Going to try tetra whisper.

Tangcollector

Staff member
The whisper AP150 and AP300 deep water pumps are the best air pumps I have ever used. Big Al's has them on sale right now.

Hannibal

Members
How big of a pump do you need? I might have one laying around that I can give to Brittni on Wednesday.

Small world, I was talking to her after yoga class on Wednesday and fish and then the fish club came up.

Becca

Members
I've had good experiences with Eco air pumps if a linear pump is a little more than you're looking for-
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/eco-air-pumps.html

The other nice thing about them is that they're relatively affordable, so you can buy 2 and have a back-up. They were great when I was just running a handful of tanks. I've since switched to an Alita with a Jehmco as a back-up now that I'm running 10-12 off the same pump with 2-3 filters in each.

Aqua410

Members
How big of a pump do you need? I might have one laying around that I can give to Brittni on Wednesday.

Small world, I was talking to her after yoga class on Wednesday and fish and then the fish club came up.

Hey Chris, small world indeed. I'm probably going to be picking one up tonight so my GT tank oxygen levels stay up. I appreciate the offer though, it would to check out your tanks some time.

Aqua410

Members
Ended up grabbing a whisper 60. It's noticeably stronger and substantially quieter than the fluval. It has two ports but I put it through a 4 way gang valve to have a vent incase of back pressure issues which didn't end up being necessary. Plenty of bubbles for my 30L and 55