• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need a different sump pump float

chriscoli

Administrator
So, as many of you have seen in my fishroom (and other people's fishrooms)....I drain my tanks to a Rubbermaid bin under the tanks and use a sump pump to send it to a utility sink when the bin is full. I'd like my sump pump to not allow the bin to fill quite so full before turning on, so I'm looking into switching out the tethered float for a different model. The float that comes with the sump pump isn't as adjustable as I'd like.

Anyone have any advice on a better type of float that's not horribly expensive?

I saw this one on Amazon and wondered if it would do the trick. http://www.amazon.com/Basement-Watc...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I saw that one, too!

I like the complete customizability of the two individual probes. You can place the high and low (on/off) points exactly where they work for you. No need to replace the sump with the float either; just tie the float up to the cord or PVC so that it is always in the "on" position.

One of these days when I get my butt in gear, I'm going to use one of these in the back corner of my room to give the low tanks back there somewhere to drain into. That sump will pump right into the main sump at the entrance.

The one you found will probably work for you just as well (at half the cost). The only reason I've picked the more expensive one is because the secondary sump in my room will be very small (6-8 gallons) and I think that ability to fine tune will be necessary to avoid potential mishaps.

chriscoli

Administrator
I was also concerned about price.....since my tanks are arranged into zones, I currently have four different pumps with one more planned in the future.