• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Shane's Fishroom

Shane

Members
I have to admit to being motivated by Rachel's recent fishroom thread. I do not have anything close to the number of tanks she is keeping, but I hope you enjoy the pics.
-Shane

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0787.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sweet.

Very nice and tight, almost Zen-like in its austerity.

Never heard back from you regarding Peru - am indeed serious about going in the event that an extra hand works for you.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Man that is clean and crisp! Do you get direct sun through the sliders? Those must make it easy to move more tanks in ;)

Love the mask collection, as well. I have a really neat one from haiti around here somewhere that I should hang up.

I, too, am curious about the branchy tank in the black cabinet.

Shane

Members
Thanks for all the comments.

I, too, am curious about the branchy tank in the black cabinet.

That is my Venezuelan llanos tank. Hemiloricaria eigenmanni, Farlowella vittata, and Corydoras habrosus. These is also a misplaced trio of Ancistrus hoplogenys (L59) that will come out eventually.

The bottom tank on that rack is just my "Rogue's Gallery" tank that every fishroom needs to hold random fishes. The male L66 whose mate died, a single Parancistrus, the jaguar cat that beat his tankmates half to death, etc. Truthfully I should just call it my auction holding tank :)
-Shane

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0644.jpg

Last edited:

Shane

Members
Do you get direct sun through the sliders?

No, outside above the sliders is a covered deck. So I just get very reduced ambient light (perfect for Javas moss and fern).

Love the mask collection, as well

Thanks, all stuff I have traded for in Colombia, Brazil, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, and Mexico. I also have a collection of hand carved wooden canoe paddles I have picked up trading with local fishermen in South America and Africa.

Never heard back from you regarding Peru - am indeed serious about going in the event that an extra hand works for you.

I'll let you know when we start planning our next expedition. For now I am content to wait for the weather to warm up so I can get in some North American collecting.
-Shane

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Love that tank!! Do you ever use leaf litter in it, as well? I often wish I could set things up like that but, in my holding tanks, of course, I would have to destroy them to net out of them so it would be counterintuitive. I do use a TON of leaf litter though which they all seem to love. Do you get many farlowella fry? I love those fish, though they are not the brightest of bulbs.

Shane

Members
I use a lot of leaf litter, but have not added any to that tank (even though it would be very biotope appropriate). If you look at the first pictures above you'll see on the bottom of the large rack a 20 long tank that is used just to keep leaf litter on hand (and produce fry food).

Yes, they are not the brightest fish, but hold a dear place in my heart. Nearly lost my wife while collecting them in Venezuela one time when they opened a dam upriver from us and she got caught in the current. She held onto her seine brail for her life and the current had her looking like she was being dragged behind a ski boat. I got to the shore and managed to pull the net in with her holding on to the other end for dear life.
I told her she was my "catch of the day." She did not think I was funny.
-Shane

msjinkzd

invert junkie
But what a great story (since it was not a sad one).

Do you ever use apple snails to produce fry food? I like putting apple snails in with my fry tanks as they have really inefficient digestive systems. The undigested herbivorous matter that they eat is excreted and produces paramecium which gets trapped in their slime. It is great for those itty bitties those first few days.

Anywho, enough dominating your thread! You really should swing by sometime if you are ever in teh York/Lancaster area. I imagine we would have fun getting our fish geek on.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Very nice room, Shane. I love how each tank is scaped differently.

Are you using rainwater in some of your tanks?