• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Free to good home: Breeding Oscars

JGM

Members
Hello all,
My daughter got these fish a couple years ago and has since moved out of the house, leaving them behind. We're talking two Oscars, one regular color and one albino. They've bred 3 or 4 times with eggs all over the place. The albino is the female. Currently they're in a 55 gallon tank and have eaten nothing but cichlid pellets all their lives. If anyone wants them, PM me through the forum. We're located in Bowie, MD.

Finally, the tank and fixins are available for $50 but I would like to see these fish get into a larger aquarium.

Thanks!
Jim

fish.jpg

tank.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Wish I had room for them. How cool would it be to have a breeding pair of Oscars?

Good luck finding them a new home.

Hicgup

Members
I am seriously interested, have a 220 ready for them. But I have a question. Did the eggs hatch? I ask, because I had a breeding pair of Oscars years ago. The eggs were infertile on the first batch and even though they both fanned and protected the nest they were all dead. So I watched and caught them in the act the second time. And yep, BOTH fish were laying eggs. I took one of the females out replacing her with a bigger fish and in less than to weeks I had hundreds of wiggling baby Oscars! So my first egg laying pair were quite happy as a couple, but not male/female. My second question would be when are you available? I am hoping to get up to Assateague Island for a couple days the end of next week, at least that gets me about two hours from you.

Last edited:

Hicgup

Members
Sent an email message. Thanks! Regardless of who gets these I hope they go to a good home. It looks like they got pretty good care, and are in good shape in spite of being in too small of an aquarium. Nice of you Jim to offer them free to a good home!

JGM

Members
Good question. The answer is no… no fry. I was only around for the second breeding and we removed some of the eggs to a smaller tank. Fungus got them almost immediately. Whether or not this an indication of fertility is uncertain. I've successfully bred Corys and Angels in our locale and fungus has always been a problem, but have noticed fewer affected eggs among properly fertilized batches.

Are they really two females? Could be. My daughter says they locked jaws several times while mating. You would know better than me. Would two females do that? I really don't know.

If they're still here in a couple weeks, a 220 would be a great improvement. Could be they're young enough that they might even start growing again? But Assateague is probably closer to three hours away. Let me know if you're still interested and thanks!

Jim

JGM

Members
Sent an email message. Thanks! Regardless of who gets these I hope they go to a good home. It looks like they got pretty good care, and are in good shape in spite of being in too small of an aquarium. Nice of you Jim to offer them free to a good home!

Tried replying and got an error message - you aren't permitting anyone to send you emails.

BTW, I'm self-employed so my schedule is very flexible. You can call me anytime (anyone else, too) at 3oh12oh46six68. Hope that isn't too cryptic!;);)

JGM

Members
Fish Gone

Just a brief note to say someone has taken the fish to a better home. The new owner brought along a pretty large net and I got soaked from splashing removing the large Oscars from the tank. It was pretty exciting!:)

The tank, hoods and filter are still here for $50 if anyone is interested. Thanks a lot for giving us a mechanism for re-homing our pets. It's a valuable service and I really appreciate it!

Jim