• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Will an alcove work as a fish room?

Congrats on the awesome space! very very cool.

That's why I don't currently have any tanks plumbed together. Would make life a whole lot easier, but too much of a risk for me. Once one tanks gets sick, they all do...

Maybe, but the bacteria is in all the tanks regardless of whether they are separated or not, plus large volumes of water are much easier to keep.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Concrete blocks and two-by wood is about as inexpensive, simple and flexible as it gets in building racks.

Matt

Makes sense with heat rising. Also on the ends where it won't have a side next to another tank. I think I'm going to go with DIY plywood shelves. Does that sound safe? I won't be building it by myself or I KNOW it'd fail!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
While it may not look good, can you hang a heavy duty shower curtain over the entrance. That would help keep heat in as well as moisture. Sort of like at the grocery store where they use plastic strips to keep the cold in the refrigerated area?

You can fit a lot in there if you want to. Thats 149 square feet. My fish room is 152 square feet. I have 49 tanks of mixed sizes in there.

I do agree though. If you are making it a fish room then you can't use carpet. If its an area for 4 or 5 show tanks, then you are fine.

daninmd

Members
I second the thought to not add heaters to the tank and just keep the basement a few degrees warmer. low to mid 70s should be fine for most fish.

I think a bigger concern for you is going to be keeping humidity down. I would count on installing a de-humidifier.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd recommend pulling up the carpet if you are allowed to. I went the carpet in a fish room route and it was a PITA to move all 9 tanks out of the room and into other parts of the house when I cracked a 10 gallon tank and it drained into the carpet. Plus, the carpet makes it harder to level the tanks as it will compress over time and you can't mimic the weight of the tanks until they are filled with water.