• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sick fish, mixing fry, need help soon

olzkool

Members
I have a young albino s. fryeri ( about 3" or so) that seems to have the early signs of popeye or an injury to his eye. He is in my all male hap / peacock tank. I need to move him to a hospital tank to treat him but I am pretty much out of tanks. I have 2 hospital/quarantine tanks that are being temporarily used as grow out tanks because all my grow out tanks are full. The 20 long hospital tank has four 1.5" mbuna and my baby bn's, the 10 has six 1" altolamps. I really can't move these guys anywhere else. So I was hoping I could put the altolamps in with the mbuna for a few days until I can get this eye problem under control. I was going to just throw them in there and see what happens but after further thought, I figured I would ask you guys first. I've never mixed these 2 together and since the altolamps are so docile they literally sit there in the tank like statues, I was worried if the mbunas would kill them or stress them to death. I would hate to lose these guys, it's been hard getting them. Hopefully someone here has experience with this before I just throw them in there.
Thanks as always

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Man that's a tough spot to be in do you have a Tupperware/ rubber made tote big enough to put a sponge filter in and do that? Maybe a recycling bin that's been washed out or line it with a plastic bag? Or make a floating trap with a large Tupperware container with holes and foam to keep it afloat you could put either him or the fry in the trap

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Yeah, mixing the altos with the Mbuna might not be the happiest solution. I have grown out mbuna with Altos but removed the mbuna when they started to get the same size as the altos. Even if they don't stress them out, they seem to out compete them for food.

Temporary Rubbermaid bin is your best bet, i think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

olzkool

Members
I got Rubbermaid totes but not a spare filter. I could go get a tank divider tomorrow. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. How long would the water last in the tupperware until I get the divider ? Kinda makes me nervous. Thanks alot for the advice on not mixing them. Glad I didn't just toss them in. Sounds like it would have not ended well

jonclark96

Past CCA President
With water changes, the fish will be okay for a few days. Another option would be to get a breeder net to put in one of your tanks. They are relatively inexpensive and readily available at the big box stores.

I have had fish survive in a five gallon bucket with sponge filter and heater for several weeks. Not ideal but it works if your medicating water changes and airation are key so as long as you keep up with that your good. Some meds destroy BB so that's when I opt for a bucket as opposed to an empty fry tank or qt tank where I don't want to re-cycle.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I got Rubbermaid totes but not a spare filter. I could go get a tank divider tomorrow. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. How long would the water last in the tupperware until I get the divider ? Kinda makes me nervous. Thanks alot for the advice on not mixing them. Glad I didn't just toss them in. Sounds like it would have not ended well

If you have an extra sponge and and water bottle with an air pump you can make one just as a temporary fix
Just remember to seed it first

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

olzkool

Members
That's a great idea . I don't have a sponge but I have some poly fill. I just made one out of a water bottle and tried it out. Works great. It's crazy how with a little bit of science and some trash you can make something like that. I stared at it for a solid 5 minutes watching it work in pure amazement lol. Just seen petco has $1 gal sale so I'm gonna grab a 20, move the altos and their substrate, filter, heater, etc to a 20 long and keep the 10g bare bones with this bubbler for my new dedicated hospital. You guys are awesome.

chriscoli

Administrator
That's a great idea . I don't have a sponge but I have some poly fill. I just made one out of a water bottle and tried it out. Works great. It's crazy how with a little bit of science and some trash you can make something like that. I stared at it for a solid 5 minutes watching it work in pure amazement lol. Just seen petco has $1 gal sale so I'm gonna grab a 20, move the altos and their substrate, filter, heater, etc to a 20 long and keep the 10g bare bones with this bubbler for my new dedicated hospital. You guys are awesome.

Great job! Rock on!

ErnieG

Members
You actually make bottle filter and use it long term, I had one running my 55 gallon for 3 months and it kept my tank crystal clear. Just use polyester filling and filter media or gravel, I use hair beads some time. Look at this pic for an idea.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1389016259000.jpg

KINDLE_CAMERA_1386199451000.jpg