• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Favorite AquaMania Experiences...and Pics if you've got them!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Why should people attend AquaMania 2 (The Big Fish Deal) - Feb 28 - Mar 2, 2014?

What's in it for someone who's never attended a fish convention before?

Please post your favorite memories, experiences and pictures from the first AquaMania... and advice for those considering attending...

And if you haven't registered, there's no time like now: www.capitalcichlids.org/aquamania

Thanks,
Matt

blkmjk

Members
I enjoyed meeting icons of the hobby like Ken Davis and Jeff Rapps. Hanging out with other hobbyist. I personally helped man the CCA table. It was a lot of fun.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
One of my favorite things as well! Post some pics :)

By the way, Aqueon has donated 15 more set-ups for the Give a Kid a Tank Contest for AquaMania 2!

Matt

I had a great watching the kids doing their build a tank project. It's always good meeting other members and being one of the unofficial photographers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hannibal

Members
As this was my first fish convention I was pretty much blown away by everything. The speakers were great, the aquarium beautiful contest had some very inspiring tanks, the marketplace and silent auction was a great place to pick up a variety of things for cheaper than retail, and best of all was getting to hang out with a bunch of people who share the same passion about fish.

But, if I had to pick one stand out moment it would have to be the car ride with Ken Davis to the airport on Sunday. He is a great guy, knows a lot, and pretty much convinced me that I need to go on a collecting trip. :D

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think one of my favorite moments was when we asked Drew to go track down Jeff because there was a crowd of folks who wanted to buy fish from him / pick up fish. Drew had a smile from ear to ear!

Thanks for stepping up and helping out Drew...

Anyone have pictures of the Tangledupincichlids table? It was a madhouse...

Matt

I enjoyed meeting icons of the hobby like Ken Davis and Jeff Rapps. Hanging out with other hobbyist. I personally helped man the CCA table. It was a lot of fun.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
Was having a conversation with a long-time club member yesterday about how we convince more folks to attend their first convention...and we agreed that first person testimonials like these are more powerful than just about anything.

We have nearly 200 members of CCA and literally thousands of lurkers on this site (folks who read but never or almost never post). An event like this is a great way to get involved and meet lots of other folks into fish!

For less than the cost of dinner and a movie, you can experience a whole weekend of fish, friends and fun including four world-class speakers (we're flying Anton in from Austria, Pam from California and Rusty from Louisville), dozens of vendors, free food at the awards ceremony, two nights of included hospitality...and so much more!

Matt

As this was my first fish convention I was pretty much blown away by everything. The speakers were great, the aquarium beautiful contest had some very inspiring tanks, the marketplace and silent auction was a great place to pick up a variety of things for cheaper than retail, and best of all was getting to hang out with a bunch of people who share the same passion about fish.

But, if I had to pick one stand out moment it would have to be the car ride with Ken Davis to the airport on Sunday. He is a great guy, knows a lot, and pretty much convinced me that I need to go on a collecting trip. :D

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
In helping out at Aquamania last year, I met Drew, and got to know Matt Chambers, and Christine better. In attending Aquamania, I was able to meet Jeff Rapps in person (we knew each other from my former lfs managerial days), ate pizza with Ken Davis and Rachel (and other CCA members), and got some great deals at the swap meet.

rich_one

Members
I think mine's might be Sam's hilarious story about driving an ice cream truck, I think in the hoods of Chicago! What a story! LOL...

-Rich

msjinkzd

invert junkie
cards against humanity in hospitality
boob squashing whitney
ad konings watching ME present
PRICELESS

Harleyrider5

Members
The market place was awesome. A lot of variety to choose from. Food, equipment, plants, fish, vendors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zenins

Members
Why should people attend AquaMania 2 (The Big Fish Deal) - Feb 28 - Mar 2, 2014?

What's in it for someone who's never attended a fish convention before?

I did not attend your first AquaMania, but I do have some insights into attending a fish convention.

I have attended a few of the Extravaganza weekends put on by the Ohio Cichlid Association, as well as several put on by the Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs.
I have also attended many one day events put on by out of town aquarium clubs.

Conventions provide the following:

• a great social opportunity to meet experts in our hobby whether they are official presenters or long time hobbyists
  • learn something you did not know before
  • see the latest foods and equipment from manufacturers or vendors that you would not usually see locally or not for a while
  • get good deals on foods and accessories from vendors
  • if there is a show, an opportunity to see in person fish that you normally only see in books or on the web
  • opportunities to buy seldom seen fish, sometimes from people's hotel rooms
  • participate in the excitement of a large auction
  • visit fish stores or a public aquarium that you have not been to before
  • make some new friends and/or meet up with ones you have not seen in a while

I try to attend at least one out of town convention every year, and in most years, two :)