• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I apparently inherited sump-one's unfinished project:

HostPoet

Members
I got this 150 Gallon Tank for Free! What's the catch? Somebody perhaps had a great idea to cut a notch around 21-22" wide and two inches deep in the top edge of the aquarium.

I am going to let people know what was already explained to me, and what my current ideas are to solve this problem:

1) The guy who did this had the idea to use "sump" filtration.

2) The dimension (or width of the cut 21-22" was used because he had some existing product in mind to "catch the over-flow water".

fOR EXAMPLE:

Specifications: Hagen AquaClear 110 (500) Power Filter
* Flow: 167-500 gph
* Rated for up to 100 gallon aquariums.
* Size: 13 1/2"L X 6 3/4"W X 9"H with 4" of its width behind the tank..

Possibly he figured since it was such a pain to make this cut- he would also leave room for what ever accessory also had to go in the tank, like a submersible heater, or airline tubing etc.

I am just trying to figure out what he may have been thinking so that I could reproduce what he has done if it might be a "low cost solution" to make this tank work.

I will try to add some pics this is my first post here and I am seeking easy to follow instructions.

JLW

CCA Members
It sounds like what needs to be done is for a three sided box to be glued over the "notch," with dimensions about 2-3" larger than the notch in all directions. At the bottom of the box, you would put in some bulkheads, which would run into a sump filter, as well as allowing your returns to pass through. This is done with some custom tanks because the overflow style is rather quiet. In theory, you could also extend the height, put bio-balls and media in it, and skip the sump, but ... I'd worry about the weight.

This is not commonly done, at all. Good luck! :)

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sounds like a steal....lol it sounds like you need to get creative pics would def help.
If you don't want to run the sump you can seal that notch off.... Not sure pics would help a lot as I am a visual person.
You could scrap a old tank to make the sump.
This might help ex it's two panels instead of three if I understand your description correctly.
http://http://s192.photobucket.com/user/usfpaul82/media/901.jpg.html

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'd silicone a patch over it and call it a day.

Pictures really would help though.

HostPoet

Members
Well, something tells me the pics I have wont upload here because they might be too big, but here it goes:

StoreDec18Sale%2B001.JPG

Okay not sure if that image will show up as link:

I have a few ideas as I reluctantly look into the whole world of sump:

Here is a probably the simplest answer: (pic below - overhang filters!)

StoreDec18Sale%2B008.JPG

Then it gets more complex: Adapting a Brita Water Filter tank to..filter and redirect the overflow!

0101151859.jpg

I suppose I want to focus on the "lack of top trim" issue as well!

Help? Ideas?

Low cost and relatively "not to cumbersome" is the key!

kevin911

Members
It sounds like what needs to be done is for a three sided box to be glued over the "notch," with dimensions about 2-3" larger than the notch in all directions. At the bottom of the box, you would put in some bulkheads, which would run into a sump filter, as well as allowing your returns to pass through. This is done with some custom tanks because the overflow style is rather quiet. In theory, you could also extend the height, put bio-balls and media in it, and skip the sump, but ... I'd worry about the weight.

This is not commonly done, at all. Good luck! :)

I like this, you can get some custom cut pieces and silicone to create the 3 dimension box. I wouldn't put weight on with HOBs...

JLW

CCA Members
I honestly think that your best, simplest solution to this would be to purchase two sheets of glass, one thin, and one thicker, that measure about 3-4" wider than the slot, and 2" taller. Glue the thinner one inside, using the extra area to schmere a lot of glue, and the thicker one outside. Then fill the cavity between them with rocking foam.

daninmd

Members
its relatively common on a saltwater tank setup, ive seen it a few times on custom tanks. either use it as designed or you can just patch it as others have noted. it really is more of a saltwater type setup, a long overflow like that will be very very quiet.

HostPoet

Members
its relatively common on a saltwater tank setup, ive seen it a few times on custom tanks. either use it as designed or you can just patch it as others have noted. it really is more of a saltwater type setup, a long overflow like that will be very very quiet.

I thought that maybe this was the case. I see on You Tube Videos that it might be more common to drill holes in the bottom and attach bulkheads. I really am not trying to be a saltwater or Reef tank guy, but if the sump filter is an effective way to go, I guess it's already set up for it.

I did see a label on the bottom of the tank that says "Tempered Glass-Do Not Drill" so that explains the notch.

Also:

ILW: " the overflow style is rather quiet. In theory, you could also extend the height, put bio-balls and media in it, and skip the sump, but ... I'd worry about the weight.

Another comment said not to put weight on with HOB's? ...

Is a common thing the salt water people do- is this where a Canopy comes in? I just want to fix the trim, add a brace and since the notch is already there, just go with it and buy some cheap sump pump-make my own filter from a tank or a tote- and maybe bring in the "return" from the other side to get good circulation. Seems like it could all be done with a canopy? Definitely with the PVC pipes.

I just want something simple, effective and low cost, and I would want to utilize this "flaw" so I do not want to patch it, but might want to diminish it, because I am now imagining this 15 gallon tank, stuck to the side of this 150 Gallon!

Any links that show these things and what is typically done will help.Thanks!

Last edited: