• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish fasting

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
What's the longest you've gone without feeding your fish? And did you suffer any casualties? I'm looking at a 6-day break.

Blaise

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I know plenty of folks who have gone for a week without feeding with good results. Personally, the longest I've gone without feeding on my current stock is five days. I've found that smaller, younger fish do fine. In my larger tanks with adult fish, especially ones that are on the overstocked side, the weaker fish tend to get picked on and on occasion I have lost one or two.

mchambers

Former CCA member
The longest I've done is two weeks, by accident, when an autofeeder malfunctioned. All the fish (juveniles and fry) were fine.

In 2012, I went 12 days without feeding my tanks, while on vacation. We returned and I fed them for three days. Everyone was fine. Then the derecho hit, and I couldn't feed them for another 6 days. I lost a few fish in one tank, but most were fine.

Six days should be fine. We're going away for a week soon, and I'm not planning to feed, except for some tank with fry. Even in those tanks, I'll feed very lightly.

AquaStudent

Members
I've gone away for a week before on a few occasions. I gave heavier feedings the few days before I left. I have only had one casualty on one of these fastings.

I'm heading out for closet to 10 days but luckily my roommate won't be leaving until the weekend. I showed him how to feed 'em and that'll set them up just nicely.

Five days should be fine. African cichlid females fast for awhile when they are holding. It is not the best thing to fast for a long time but they can do it.

rich_one

Members
Approx. 30 days, on two separate occasions. Once was a discus fish, that finally started eating. The other was a bocourti... also finally started eating. Both fish ended up okay. But to be clear, wasn't that I wasn't feeding them... it was that they would not eat.

-Rich

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Approx. 30 days, on two separate occasions. Once was a discus fish, that finally started eating. The other was a bocourti... also finally started eating. Both fish ended up okay. But to be clear, wasn't that I wasn't feeding them... it was that they would not eat.

-Rich

That you saw lol depends on your tank set you might have algae food that's hanging our at the bottom etc etc...

As for me, a week. Went on vaca and fish feeder did not do its job smh.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rich_one

Members
That you saw lol depends on your tank set you might have algae food that's hanging our at the bottom etc etc...

As for me, a week. Went on vaca and fish feeder did not do its job smh.

Maybe not that I saw, but if it was eating something, it was nothing I was feeding it. And in the case of the bocourti, it was in a newly setup tank... REALLY no clue what he may have been eating... LOL...

-Rich

MarkK

CCA Members
I have gone 10 days. When I return, I only feed frozen foods (PE Mysis or Brine Shrimp) and microworms or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs to fry for a few days.

My fear is that after fasting they might overeat on pellets or flake which might lead to something bad (I don't know what).

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I have gone 10 days. When I return, I only feed frozen foods (PE Mysis or Brine Shrimp) and microworms or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs to fry for a few days.

My fear is that after fasting they might overeat on pellets or flake which might lead to something bad (I don't know what).

What about soaked pellets? It keeps them from expanding in there tiny bellies.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Just returned to DC, after 8+ days away. I had autofeeders on three tanks, dispensing fry food (golden pearls), but no other feeding.

All of my fish look quite healthy.

Each year I go on vacation for 3 to 4 weeks without feeding my fish. Small fry cannot survive a few days without food, but big fish can easily survive a month without food. Think about female mouthbrooders and male plecos. They incubate eggs for 3+ weeks without eating, so there shouldn't be any concern starving fish up to a month. In fact, hungry fish will do a good job in scavenging dead fish in your absence to prevent pollution which poses greatest danger to fish. Before I go away I do filter and water changes to optimize the water quality, and fill water to the top to allow for evaporation loss as low water level can stop some filters from working.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Everything appears to have survived just fine. I'm now back to my regular feeding schedule, which includes regular fast days.

Blaise