• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Repairing 75 gallon - need advice

dankdabe

Members
All,

Looking for some advice on repairing my 75 gallon. It's been sitting in hot Texas heat in a storage unit for a decade. Looking to set it back up. Filled it up yesterday to check for leaks and I've got a a decent leak at one of the side seams as it sat for hours with water in it the leak actually pulled apart at the seam (see pics). I'd like to re-seal the tank. Question is, do you think I can get away with just re-sealing that seam or do I need cut down the existing sealant all over and re-silicone?

Thanks,

David

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1466969115.568923.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
At least you were smart to test fill it outside before setting it up! Can you imagine that same picture in your house somewhere?

dankdabe

Members
Haha, yes, very very thankful I tested it out first before setting it up. Thanks for the responses. In removing all of the old silicone, can I just cut down to the corner, clean with acetone, and apply new silicone caulk or do I have to actually cut between the seams, separating the glass?

Thanks,

David

Hawkman2000

Members
WOW, good thing you tested it.

Lost of tank re-sealing threads right now.

I would break the entire tank down and rebuild it.

JLW

CCA Members
I would buy a new 75-gallon.

To reseal it, in short, remove the trim from top and bottom. Cut all the panes of glass apart. Remove all the old glue. Glue it back together. Replace the trim, glue it down. Wait 48-hours, fill it outside, drain it, and wait another 48-72 hours (assuming no leaks), with longer being better.

Realistically, you'll break at least one of the two pieces of trim getting it off. You're in for a full day project, at least, and there's no guarantee that you'll get it done well the first time. You're never going to be able to do the nice, professional glue job the makers do, so it'll look like ... well, like you did it.

Sure, you've got some expensive, special tank, give it a try. That's an old AGA or Perfecto tank, and you can replace it for $150 brand new, less used.

Hawkman2000

Members
Quick note to everyone - while doing some research online and disassembling my 57, I discovered that WD40 works great at helping remove old silicone. It doesn't liquefy it, but it softens it and penetrates underneath it. Just spray it on and let it soak for about 15 min. A word of cation though, I would recommend not spraying it on the plastic trim. I have read conflicting reviews on whether or not it harms plastic, or certain types of plastic.

The only reasons I would rebuild a tank is if it is an odd shaped tank that is hard to find (like the Oceanic 57 I recently salvaged), if its an old tank that wasn't built with a center brace (love those things) and/or can be drilled on the bottom, if it a RR tank that would cost a good chunk of money, or if it is a bow front tank like the ones the stopped making last year or so.

Another reason I would break down a tank is to salvage the glass.

That being said, I was able to break down my 57 without harming the trim (bear in mind, this is an oceanic tank, very different trim and thicker glass). Its not easy, but it can be done. If you can get the top trim off without cracking it, you should be able to get the rest apart without breaking anything. But JLW is right, it is an all day project just taking it apart and cleaning the glass.

Hawkman2000

Members
After looking at the pic again, that might be an oceanic. Can you post a better pic of the trim,or does it have the oceanic sticker on the bottom trim.

Also look at the front/ back edge of the panes of glass. Look at the cut edge and see if one of them is clear as opposed to a green tinted edge. Oceanic built some tanks with starfire/low iron glass front panes.