• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

olzkool

Members
So last night I went down the check on some holding females I had that have been holding for a while now. There were 4 mom's out of a bunch that have been holding for around 2 weeks. The good: stripped the 2 tangerine tigers and got over 50 fry! Stripped one albino Socofoli and got a whopping 38 out of one fish! This was from my normal mom x male with 2 color eyes. Waiting to see if I got any with heterochro iridium. The bad: one of my breeder boxes had all but 6 chewere fry dead on the bottom. Stuck my hand in the tank to get them out and got shocked. Bad light, bad news. The ugly: the smaller Socofoli female was holding for the first time. Since this was the first time I successfully bred iridium x iridium I was super pumped to see the genetic outcome. Only one other person in the states that I know of is doing the same breeding project and has yet to produce (a lot of proper line breeding went into this) . I only got about 10 from her. I put them in a breeder basket with the parents like I always do with my mature fry and they got slaughtered through the net. First time this has ever happened. I got 3 left so I'm really bummed about that. No way to come to an accurate assessment now until she breeds again. Either way I got new fry so all in all I'm pretty happy.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry about the losses. I too learned the hard way about keeping fry in breeder nets with larger fish in the tank. Never worked out for me.

frankoq

Members
sounds pretty good, pretty bad, and pretty ugly. :)
Hope you can work out a second batch of socofoli.

olzkool

Members
Yeah I've heard stories but I've been doing it forever. Wierd thing is there are 2 other breeder boxes in the same tank and no problems. It's like they selectively attacked these guys. Guess I've just gotten lucky.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Dude that blows last time I was there I saw theses guys they were magnificent specimen...hopefully the 3 survivors prove to be just as awesome as the parents if you need chewere fry I got you. (just swing by and pic em out) I might even have a light for you (t5 fluorescent)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

olzkool

Members
Thanks. I have a couple batches of chewere and one holding. That was the oldest batch so they were just starting to get decent size.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Thanks. I have a couple batches of chewere and one holding. That was the oldest batch so they were just starting to get decent size.

Let me know if you need anything lol even though I got most of my stock from you...it's like you have an insurance stock at my place lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app