• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need help moving a 300 gallon acrylic

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey guys
On saturday, march 28th, I'll be picking up my dream tank (an 8' acrylic 300 gallon) and I'll need some help to move this monster.
I'm picking up the tank from Lynchburg Virginia and taking it to Potomac Maryland and since its a 3.5 hour drive there, i think it would be best if a few people who live near Lynchburg help bring it out of the sellers garage and into the moving truck and a few people who live around potomac to help bring it inside. The tank is about 250 lbs and the seller said the stand is 2-3 times heavier than the tank.
Payment: My dad agreed to buy lunch for everyone who helped, if i helped too. The type of food is TBD but will probably be beer and pizza
Please pm me if you can come
Also, i'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasnt sure weather to post in the marketplace or this forum
thanks!

lkelly

Members
Someone made a 500-700 pound stand? Did they use granite counter top on a cast iron base?

Or maybe there's a permanently attached 55 gallon (filled) sump underneath...

JLW

CCA Members
That's also a REALLY heavy acrylic tank. :) I think the weights are getting over estimated all around. A glass one would weigh in at about 300-400 pounds, and I can't imagine an acrylic would weigh in at even half of that. Expect the tank itself to weigh 100-150 pounds, tops. That's manageable for one person, so I say we let Dan do it himself. ;)

If the stand weighs twice that, that's kind of reasonable ballpark!

Dan, keep in mind that when moving an acrylic tank (and the stand may well be acrylic, too), that it is super easy to scratch the tank. Bring some chunks of styrofoam to buffer the tank against the walls of the truck, and the stand. You can tape these to the tank (just be sure your tape peels cleanly, masking tape is your best bet). Bring A LOT of sheets to help protect it, as well, and mind how you set it down.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Someone made a 500-700 pound stand? Did they use granite counter top on a cast iron base?

Or maybe there's a permanently attached 55 gallon (filled) sump underneath...
I was wondering that too, like Josh said, he's probably exaggerating
That's also a REALLY heavy acrylic tank. :) I think the weights are getting over estimated all around. A glass one would weigh in at about 300-400 pounds, and I can't imagine an acrylic would weigh in at even half of that. Expect the tank itself to weigh 100-150 pounds, tops. That's manageable for one person, so I say we let Dan do it himself. ;)

If the stand weighs twice that, that's kind of reasonable ballpark!

Dan, keep in mind that when moving an acrylic tank (and the stand may well be acrylic, too), that it is super easy to scratch the tank. Bring some chunks of styrofoam to buffer the tank against the walls of the truck, and the stand. You can tape these to the tank (just be sure your tape peels cleanly, masking tape is your best bet). Bring A LOT of sheets to help protect it, as well, and mind how you set it down.
That makes allot more sense, he said that he was pretty scrawny and that him and a friend carried the tank in by themselves with ease. Thanks for the advice

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Worked out a time
I'll be at the guys house in lynchburg at 12, and should be back around 4-4:30

Spine

Members
I agree with Josh. I don't think it will be that heavy. I have a 220g plexiglass that I moved by myself.
I can help on the Potomac end just let me know.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thanks Abby
If anyone can help at lynchburg, please let me know, so far I have no one to help their
thanks

dhavalsp

Members
Hi Dan,

I believe you got enough support at Potomac. Do let me know if you need more help at potomac.

Thanks,

Dhaval

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hi Dan,

I believe you got enough support at Potomac. Do let me know if you need more help at potomac.

Thanks,

Dhaval

The more the better, i honestly have no idea how heavy the stand is so i might need more
lmk if you can come help out

PhilS

Members
If you need moving blankets harbor freight has them on sale for $3 right now if you get the coupon off of their website.