• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wave maker/Powerheads

Howie

Members
Suggestions on power heads/wave makers. Corolia seem to be the choice.of many. Anybody have any experience with SunSun ones-They're inexpensive but got great reviews on amazon.

Also how many do I need for my 120 that's 5'? Placement in tank and direction of them?

frankoq

Members
I have 2 aqueon 1250 in my 180.
one on either side wall of the tank about 15 inches from bottom.
Both pointing to the right and slight angle towards the bottom.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've used lots of brands over the years, except for Koralia. the Aquaclear heads are good, but expensive. Recently, I've picked up some maxijets because they are affordable and seem to work well.

As for placement, I usually aim them towards the intakes on my canister filters, all in one direction in the tank.

Becca

Members
There is an amazing type that is magnetic, with the motor and power cord outside of the tank and the propeller inside. It sticks together through glass and is magnetically driven. It is super easy to clean and there's no risk of stuff from the tank getting into the motor/impeller...

I don't remember what they're called, but Josh (Batfish Aquatics) knows what they are - he had one on his old 80 gallon reef set-up.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Always was a fan of the Maxi-Jets because of initial cost, reliability and cost/accessibility of replacement parts. With the new blower conversion kits they come with now, they cannot be beat imo. They move a ton of water at a low price.

jmessineo1

Members
I had hydors on my reef, very nice wavemakers, though i now use the sunsuns and to be honest for the cost you cant beat them been running them for about six months still no problems or noise. Had a maxijet in the bin to mix the salt water on the reef, was great as well. I have mine near the top pointing more towards the surface and across the aquarium for surface agitation.

jmessineo1

Members
Honestly one 800gph would be enough in my opinion, but before you get one see what the flow is in the tank. See if you have dead spots before investing in one, you may not need one. I'm sure there are other opinions just my 2 sense.

frankoq

Members
Some of my fish like to get right in front of it for a workout I guess.
you might have no "tank" need for it, but your fish might like it.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
How many do I need? Placement of multiple ones in tank?

To me, it is a question of why you are using the power heads? Trying to keep the substrate clean? Trying to curb aggression? Just want more circulation in the tank?

Tangcollector

Staff member
I agree with Tony, The maxi jets can not be beat for price and performance.
I have 2 400's in my 220 (6') tank on either end about 10 " off the bottom pointing toward the middle and it really keeps the sand clean. I had the 1200's originally but that was too much current. The only thing I can say against them if you are going to cycle them on and off which I don't do, in circulation mode they can make a little noise on start up. It's only for a second or two but if you are turning them on and off it may bother you. Other than that best ones for the money.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I have a N.I.B. Aqua Clear 50 that I changed my tank plans about. I'd be willing to sell it if you're interested. I can bring it to the April meeting.

Howie

Members
How much you asking for AC 50, Shawn? I might change out the old hob on my 36 bow fr.

BTW, the 20g you sold me totally rocks--thanks again!