• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Big Tank in Apartment

AquaStudent

Members
Hey CCA. One of my friends just informed me another friend is trying to get rid of a large tank. He doesn't know the size (I asked him to track down more specific dimensions) but he said it was about the size of my dresser (about 8' long). I'm thinking it's probably a six got tank because he said it was larger than my 55g but him and his buddy were able to carry it (he's not a huge guy).

Anyway, what I want to discuss is having large tanks in an apartment. I'm trying to determine the practicality and limits. I currently live in a 2 BR apartment on the second floor. Since I don't have a concrete slab I'm limited in weight but at what point do I really need to be concerned with weight.

The building is quite a few years old with some solid building. I believe ice identified load being walls and can pave the tank along one.

My apartment complex does not allow pets but has not said anything about my current tasks (55, 29). However, a 100+ is a huge step up from a 55 (in weight and risk).

I do have renters insurance just incase.

My friend said I could get the tank for free or next to free all that's why it's so tempting.

Comments?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Get the tank.

I've got my 180 set up on the first floor of my house with a full basement. The floor deflected a little but 5 years ago when I set it up, but it has been all good since then.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
My 120 is on the 2nd floor with a 10 gallon and for the past 2 years that i've had the 120, nothing bad has happened.

TMSB805

Members
When I lived in Vegas I kept my 300 in a second floor apartment. I have no idea how the construction was layer out underneath but it held just fine

F8LBITE

Members
I wouldn't be worried about weight but I got busted with tanks in my condo and had to get rid of everything within 30 days. The rule was no pets but then they told me if you feed it it's a pet. It really sucked.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Get the tank.

I am on the second floor of a condo. I have a bedroom with an 8' 135g, a 75g and a 25g.

Just try to place your tank against a load bearing wall.

ddavila06

Members
ur counsience tells you to stay away from it but you insist that maybe, just maybe it will work out :p

i had a 125 in my 2 bed condo for a few years..nothing bad happened. nothing bad should happen. renters insurance is a good thing.

I have a 125, 75, two 29 and three 10 in my second floor appt. All in the same room most sharing the same 4-6 joists for supprort. I was horrified every time I added a tank but honestly I could probably add another 6 footer without problems.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Run it perpendicular with the joists so its weight is spread over 4-6 joists rather than 2 or even worse none if its running parallel in between them.

spazmattik

Members
I am in an apartment and I was nervous at first putting my 125 in. I thought of it this way, this tank weighs x amount of lbs.. how many of me does that equal to? lol. So if this apartment floor cant hold 4 or 5 of me standing next to the wall it should be tore down. lol plus the weight of the tank is distributed better.

I am in an apartment and I was nervous at first putting my 125 in. I thought of it this way, this tank weighs x amount of lbs.. how many of me does that equal to? lol. So if this apartment floor cant hold 4 or 5 of me standing next to the wall it should be tore down. lol plus the weight of the tank is distributed better.

Great minds think alike! This is exactly what I did, infact I actually tested it this way. Afterwards I realized how crazy I was for being concerned.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Great minds think alike! This is exactly what I did, infact I actually tested it this way. Afterwards I realized how crazy I was for being concerned.

While I think you will be fine with the tank, you can't base the floor strength by your weight. The concern is the tank weight and dispersion of that weight on the floor over time.

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks guys! This is great! Keep this discussion going.
I need to get the dimensions.

I think as long as it doesn't leak I'm ok...but if any tank leaks I'm screwed...no matter of its a 210 or a 10g

She's a crazy old bat! She lays awake at night fearing 400g falling through the floor. Hate to say it but she kinda deseves it.....long story

AquaStudent

Members
If I do get this tank, the next question is what to do!

So much room!

Planted? Peacock/Haps? South American monsters? Beta?

REG84

Members
While I think you will be fine with the tank, you can't base the floor strength by your weight. The concern is the tank weight and dispersion of that weight on the floor over time.

I agree I think it would be fine as well, but two things come to mind when you consider putting that much weight on the second floor. One is your floor is someone's ceiling and that is a lot of weight. Secondly your renters insurance could look at it as a breach of renters agreement and might not pay.