• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Detritus

Tooz100

Members
Hi guys ! And girls !
I was just wondering how to get the dusty brown ( I presume detritus) out of my refugium areas in my sump ? The obvious choice would be a syphon but as my sump sits on the ground I wouldn't be able to get a flow to my bucket , unless I dig a hole in my concrete floor ! ( the mrs won't allow that ) . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as when I try to net it out , it just stirrs up and end up in the main tank . Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Can you use a small powerhead or pump to get it into a bucket? I'd put the input on the bottom of the powerhead right down into the muck (or a short hose attached to the input) and attach a hose to the powerhead's output that goes out into a bucket. If you have sand or gravel bits in the bottom you might not want to do that, though, if it's a nice powerhead.

lkelly

Members
Depending on how many beers you've had, a straw isn't out of the question.

The more sober decision would be to use a powerhead or even a fine mesh net to grab most of it.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Python or a battery-powered gravel vacuum would work as well.

Tooz100

Members
Ha ha ha great responses ! I think I'll pass on the straw idea regardless of how many beers I have had I do have an old power head so think I'll give that a go ! Thanks guys and gals

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app