• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Camallanus worms?

AquaStudent

Members
I thought Goat DeWormer was the singer in that Dutch punk band...

Blaise

No. He's the drummer not the singer. The singer is Fish Freek.

I do have an update. I've treated the tank for the past four days. The first day using the Fenbendazole treated cod and the last three with Levamisole medicated flakes. So far no fish have shown any signs of ejecting worms. In fact, nothing in the aquarium other than the one showing signs of illness have changed at all.

The chocolate cichlid which had the 'enlarged anus' seems to have an even more enlarged anus now. It looks like it has swollen up with water, like a balloon.

To be Frank, it now looks like Frank may be onto something here! For the moment whatever it is doesn't seem to be hindering the fish at all so we will see what happens.

It just makes me want to...pop it...It's calling my name. Like the mole in Austin Powers...

Here are some low quality photos (I can't get him to hold still).

AquaStudent

Members
It's strange. It changes sizes every day. Some days it's large. It shrinks the next day. Strange...

Found a similar thread on another forum and a couple suggested epsom salt treatment and another claimed melafix worked for them.

I think I'm going to try moving him to the 20L and treating with some melafix (since I have that on hand). Need to figure out what to do with the current inhabitants of the 20L. May have to DIY a divider. I have a feeling a 5" chocolate cichlid would like to try to eat some 1" yellow lab fry.

@Matt He's had some fasting weeks a couple times since I first saw this. I'll try that again if Melafix doesn't work.

Just so it's recorded I feed NLS chiclasoma pellets, Cobalt Large cichlid, YFS Cichlid cravers (yellow), and minced cod (very occasionally blackworms although it's been a few months)