• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Camallanus worms?

AquaStudent

Members
Hello CCA,

I noticed the anus on my chocolate cichlid bulging and I think it is caused by Camallanus worms. Here are some photos to show the extent of the symptoms.

I haven't convinced myself that I've seen red worms coming out of the wound but I do see something. I don't think it's visible in the pictures but the upper side, closest to the body of the fish, does have a red coloration and may be separate.

I was going to take a trip up to the LFS to see what sort of antiparasitic they have available since I don't think I have anything still useable on hand.

My second concern is there is a bichir in the aquarium. I'm not sure if they are the type of fish that are more vulnerable to medications. Can anyone provide some input on that subject?

Gracias!
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/camallanus-worms.aspx

JLW

CCA Members
Yes, those are Cam Worms, and they're nasty.

Are you back in the area? If you can wait until Saturday, I have some frozen dewormer that will clear that up in a single treatment, and no worries about the other fish. The best dewormers go into the fish, not into the water. :)

JLW

CCA Members
Matt, I carry two different dewormers, depending on the size of fish. The first is a frozen food with an additive -- I'm out of it until Thursday, so I can't tell you what the active ingredient is. It works, though, very well. It's a 3.5 oz frozen food, and most larger fish will gobble it down without question, and retails for $20. (There's also an antibacterial and antiparasitic which run for $18; the antibacterial works great, though I haven't tried the antiparasitic).

I also have two fridged foods. They're in a small 8-oz bottle, and called "Caviar."

The dewormer is a suspension of fish eggs impregnated with prazi, and the fish take the medication when eating it -- this is better for small fish. It makes a big difference, and wipes out a lot of nasty stuff, including Cam worms, flukes, planarians, and more. There's also a antibacterial caviar, too, which treats a lot of nasty infections. Both work phenomenally. The antibacterial has metronidazole in it, and also does some worm infections.

Antibacterial Caviar 8oz (R) -- $18 Used to treat HHLLE, protozoan infestation, hexamite, fungus, popeye, fin rot, septicemia, dropsy and ulcers. Because the antibiotics are part of the food, this will not effect your biological filtration. Contains kanamycin and metronidazole.

Dewormer Caviar 8oz (R) -- $18 Same as above, but used to treat internal parasitic infections.

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks Josh. Sadly I'm back up North. I was planning on doing an internal medication whatever I got. Can get some blackworms at the place I'm going to. Could also get some frozen foods or stop at the grocery store to get something fresh to chop up.

His appetite is very strong so I don't think I'll have any trouble getting him or the others to feed.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks Josh - might need to get some de-wormer before the next Uruguay trip!

Matt

Matt, I carry two different dewormers, depending on the size of fish. The first is a frozen food with an additive -- I'm out of it until Thursday, so I can't tell you what the active ingredient is. It works, though, very well. It's a 3.5 oz frozen food, and most larger fish will gobble it down without question, and retails for $20. (There's also an antibacterial and antiparasitic which run for $18; the antibacterial works great, though I haven't tried the antiparasitic).

I also have two fridged foods. They're in a small 8-oz bottle, and called "Caviar."

The dewormer is a suspension of fish eggs impregnated with prazi, and the fish take the medication when eating it -- this is better for small fish. It makes a big difference, and wipes out a lot of nasty stuff, including Cam worms, flukes, planarians, and more. There's also a antibacterial caviar, too, which treats a lot of nasty infections. Both work phenomenally. The antibacterial has metronidazole in it, and also does some worm infections.

Antibacterial Caviar 8oz (R) -- $18 Used to treat HHLLE, protozoan infestation, hexamite, fungus, popeye, fin rot, septicemia, dropsy and ulcers. Because the antibiotics are part of the food, this will not effect your biological filtration. Contains kanamycin and metronidazole.

Dewormer Caviar 8oz (R) -- $18 Same as above, but used to treat internal parasitic infections.

Becca

Members
I've used the medicated foods Josh is talking about and they are good. Fish gobble them up, too.

JLW

CCA Members
Invested? Yes....

Invented... no. ;)

If it was for a smaller fish, I'd suggest packing a few cold packs and shipping, but I don't think the frozen would make it without some serious help.

AquaStudent

Members
Invested? Yes....

Invented... no. ;)

If it was for a smaller fish, I'd suggest packing a few cold packs and shipping, but I don't think the frozen would make it without some serious help.

I can put the fish on ice and send them down but I have invested in (but not invented) cryogenics so I don't think it'll work. :p

I tried my LFS but they didn't have any fenbendazole or levaminsole. I'm going to check online. I get amazon prime so I may be able to get a good deal on quick shipping. If not I'll try a tractor supply store for some.

Becca

Members
Fenbendazole can be found as goat dewormer at a Tractor Supply or Amazon... brand name is SafeGuard. 1 drop per gallon.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I would say if you do not see worms protruding from the anus it is not camillanus. Actually it looks more like a tumor to me because of the excess tissue that seems to show in the picture. IF it is a tumor, not much will affect it. If it is a tumor, the fish can live for years without much problem, I think.

Becca

Members
I would say if you do not see worms protruding from the anus it is not camillanus. Actually it looks more like a tumor to me because of the excess tissue that seems to show in the picture. IF it is a tumor, not much will affect it. If it is a tumor, the fish can live for years without much problem, I think.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I have had a paradise fish covered in tumors going strong for near a year.

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks for your input Frank. I'm not sure what to make of it. The 'wound' looks slightly different than yesterday. It doesn't look like there's as much bulging out (perhaps the intestines have retracted a bit?) The best adjective I can think of to describe it is "volcanoy". All behavior is normal. Eating well. Active. If it is a tumor it doesn't seem to be hindering him.

I do have some medicated flake foods (figured that'd ship better than frozen. Sorry Josh. Would prefer to support Batfish) from Peabody's Paradise on the way. They're flakes medicated with Fenbendazole and another set medicated with Levaminsole. Flakes will be harder to feed than frozen so that may make things more difficult but I'd rather throw a broad net.

Greengirl

Members
I may be late to the thread, but my experience with calamus worms is that they are terminated by levamisole. I happen to have a pharmacy's worth of levamisole powder for baths, and levamisole medicated fish flakes. I would be happy to make arrangements to sell them in proper doses. I think Doug sold the powder at $3 a gram, so I will do the same. It worked really well for me as I had a bit of an infestation of it in one tank.

You add the proper dose of leva, then completely blackout the tank for 2 days and do not feed, as the fish become light sensitive and you should probably not feed while they are being medicated. You do a water change and repeat the procedure. I actually witnessed the worm slide right out of the anus of the fish and fall dead at the bottom. Water change again after that too.

AquaStudent

Members
I may be late to the thread, but my experience with calamus worms is that they are terminated by levamisole. I happen to have a pharmacy's worth of levamisole powder for baths, and levamisole medicated fish flakes. I would be happy to make arrangements to sell them in proper doses. I think Doug sold the powder at $3 a gram, so I will do the same. It worked really well for me as I had a bit of an infestation of it in one tank.

Thanks! I have some on the way (both levaminsole and fenbendazole) as well as some fenbendazole powder. I'm hopeful one of those meds will work. I think I'll have the fenbendazole powder tomorrow but the lev. and fen. medicated foods should be here in a few days.

If those don't work and you're able to send me a little package up to NY I'll definitely take you up on that.

On a side note, both 'Goat Dewormer' and 'Volcanoy Anus' would make great names for a rock band.

You do not tell lies.