• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New lens - test pics

daninmd

Members
Received a new (well new to me) lens yesterday and took a few test shots. The lens is the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; and I am currently using a Canon 50D - but looking to upgrade to the full frame 6D soon.

First shots using this lens and a DIY flash diffuser:

tank-1.jpg

tank-2.jpg

tank-3.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Looks great! I've got the Canon 150mm f/2.8 macro and love it.....hmmmm you're inspiring me to get it back out and take some more pics this weekend.

I feel like the 3rd pic deserves a caption.

JasonC

Members
pics look great! A good 100mm macro is on my "someday when I am independantly wealthy" list... how much it set you back?

daninmd

Members
Looks great! I've got the Canon 150mm f/2.8 macro and love it.....hmmmm you're inspiring me to get it back out and take some more pics this weekend.

I feel like the 3rd pic deserves a caption.

would have loved to get the 180mm, must be nice getting that extra distance. the 100mm focus depth is 12" from the sensor, or 6" in front of the lens. the 180mm is probably around 18" total, right?

yeah, she could use a caption..."sneaky sneaky" or something like that, ha!

what type of flash setup are you using? I have an external flash and built a macro diffuser for it, working good so far but eventually will put together an off camera setup

daninmd

Members
pics look great! A good 100mm macro is on my "someday when I am independantly wealthy" list... how much it set you back?

$375 used on ebay. was able to get one from a guy that just had it repaired by canon so I have 6 months of warranty left.

chriscoli

Administrator
Not sure on that....I'll defer to someone who knows their camera stuff better than me. Sometimes, though, the 150 is a bit too much. I find that it's also REALLY susceptible to distortion from the tank glass.

I took a great video with it of microworms squiggling their way around inside their culture container, though.

daninmd

Members
Not sure on that....I'll defer to someone who knows their camera stuff better than me. Sometimes, though, the 150 is a bit too much. I find that it's also REALLY susceptible to distortion from the tank glass.

I took a great video with it of microworms squiggling their way around inside their culture container, though.

yeah, I find you have to make sure you are shooting perpendicular to the glass and have the filters off so that water is still. I am sure that lens is pretty hefty.

what camera do you use?

chriscoli

Administrator
yeah, I find you have to make sure you are shooting perpendicular to the glass and have the filters off so that water is still. I am sure that lens is pretty hefty.

what camera do you use?

Canon Rebel T3i

I looked at some of the heftier models and considered upgrading last year when my husband wanted a T3i (I figured I'd give him mine and get myself an upgrade)....but then I decided that the T3i just fits better in my (girlie) hands!