• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Shipping and ordering

Skipbeau

Members
I have finally found someone on this island ( I live in oahu, Hawaii ) that have apisto cacatuoides. I have been searching for over a month and found them at some grimey hole in the wall petstore that smells like cat ****. To top it off the vast majority of them have the boomerang thing going on from being incestually bred. What would be a good company or person for me to buy from on the mainland and what shipping method would be best to use? A company is preferred just due to the import laws here. I have to acquire a permit that will only be good for a one time shipment. Also would prefer wild caught or a good line of triple reds. Looking for 2 males and between 4-6 females.

Thanks guys
-Spencer-

MonteSS

Members
Since you are considering Triple reds, it looks like you want a very colorful Cac. Wild caught are no where near as bright as line bred fish. They also require a very low PH.

Wetspot in Washington State I heard has good fish. I have no personal experince with them.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwapisto

I have found Apistos ship well and two days SHOULD be OK, but I would use what the shipper reccomends and guarantees.

I would also look and ask on Apistogramma.com if there are any breeders or hobbyist in Hawaii.

...Bill

Skipbeau

Members
Since you are considering Triple reds, it looks like you want a very colorful Cac. Wild caught are no where near as bright as line bred fish. They also require a very low PH.

Wetspot in Washington State I heard has good fish. I have no personal experince with them.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwapisto

I have found Apistos ship well and two days SHOULD be OK, but I would use what the shipper reccomends and guarantees.

I would also look and ask on Apistogramma.com if there are any breeders or hobbyist in Hawaii.

...Bill

I have looked and asked for breeders over here but the only person who I know did breed in Hawaii hasn't answered any of my emails. Besides that I don't know if he still breeds because all the info I found on him was from 2008 and before. I will check out those websites tho. Our water out of the tap here in Hawaii is perfect for them. We don't have to treat or anything. I do take a water sample to have tested every 2 weeks or so just to make sure. Can't wait to get all of this going. Thanks so much for all of the information you have been able to share bill. Has been a tremendous help.

Skipbeau

Members
A quick google search brought up http://www.honoluluaquariumsociety.org/. Dont know if it is an active club or not, but if nothing else, it may be a lead in the right direction. Good Luck with the search!

I am a part of the Honolulu aquarium society. Have asked other members but they are mostly into fancy guppies and the such. Not really big on cichlids. This is why I am having to explore my other options. You can only find the more popular, bigger cichlids on this island and I wanted to be different and possibly get some of the club into apistos. Thanks for the input tho. It's good to know people are wanting to help me on this. It would be so much easier if I still lived in South Carolina. Lol