• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Newbie to cichlids

Hi all,

Another newbie here.
I have a 132 us gallon community tank.
3x small clown loaches
3x small cory
6x guppie
5x plattie
5x mollie
23x neon/glow light tetras
3x small kissing gourami (I know these grow VERY big, they will be rehoused)
Albino Bristol nose
Sucking loach
2x small electric Blue
2x small parrot cichlids

I'm looking to eventually turn this into a cichlid tank. I want to slowly replace the community fish but how and what with?

All replies will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would start by trying to figure out what fish I want to keep and do some research about them. You have started with both Africans (I am assuming that your electric blue is some type of mbuna) and New World (parrot is a new world hybrid). Usually, Africans and New Worlds won't make it long term in the same tank. They require different water chemistry to prosper. Once you have made up your mind, come back and ask some more specific questions.

Also, try to find a home for those community fish. Most of them will end up as snacks for cichlids.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Are you local?

Members can sell all kinds of fish (not just cichlids) in our monthly auctions...

Matt

Hi Jon and thanks for the reply
Since searching on the net I have found that the parrots are in fact Rainbow cichlids.
I was given these late last night as the previous owner was going away on business. He said they were parrots.
Sorry for the confusion.
I'd really like to fill tank with cichlids which are compatible with rainbows and electric blue rams.

verbal

CCA Members
You have started with both Africans (I am assuming that your electric blue is some type of mbuna) and New World (parrot is a new world hybrid).
It could also be an electric blue Jack Dempsey, which could work with the parrot cichlids. It sounds like there is the stocking for 2 different tanks in there. There are the tetras and livebearers for a small community tank and the big fish(gouramis, electric blues, clown loaches and parrots).

If you want to go the community route, that doesn't exclude keeping cichlids. You could have rams and apistos with your smaller fish.

You also could probably keep a school of barbs if you go with the bigger fish.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Based on the electric blues being rams and the parrots are rainbows, I think you have a pretty good start. I'd stick to smaller, calmer cichlids for your tank. Maybe a pair of keyholes. Rams tend to be pretty meek compared to most other cichlids, and getting too many in the tank would cut down on any chance of breeding.

I would start by trying to figure out what fish I want to keep and do some research about them. You have started with both Africans (I am assuming that your electric blue is some type of mbuna) and New World (parrot is a new world hybrid). Usually, Africans and New Worlds won't make it long term in the same tank. They require different water chemistry to prosper. Once you have made up your mind, come back and ask some more specific questions.

Also, try to find a home for those community fish. Most of them will end up as snacks for cichlids.

Thanks again Jon for your speedy reply.
Are keyholes bright in colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclark96
You have started with both Africans (I am assuming that your electric blue is some type of mbuna) and New World (parrot is a new world hybrid).
It could also be an electric blue Jack Dempsey, which could work with the parrot cichlids. It sounds like there is the stocking for 2 different tanks in there. There are the tetras and livebearers for a small community tank and the big fish(gouramis, electric blues, clown loaches and parrots).

If you want to go the community route, that doesn't exclude keeping cichlids. You could have rams and apistos with your smaller fish.

You also could probably keep a school of barbs if you go with the bigger fish.

Theyre rainbow cichlids and electric blue rams. Sorry I got told they were different.

verbal

CCA Members
Are rainbow cichlids mbuna?

Sorry. I'm total newbie to cichlids. Wanna get it right.

Mbuna - means "rockfish" in a language spoken by natives of malawi

This group is generally vegetarian fish that live very close to the rocks. They tend to be pretty territorial and need a lot of cover.

Rainbow cichlids are a Central American cichlid. Generally Central American cichlids are thought of as big and aggressive, but rainbow cichlids are neither.

http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=91

It actually sounds like you have a pretty mix with your tank right now, so I would be inclined to see how things go with your current stock.

Thanks Verbal,

I'm looking to phase out my mollies and platties etc
So now I have an idea what I can replace them with.
Would you advise introducing a cple of yellow labs?

verbal

CCA Members
That is definitely a rainbow cichlid.

I don't think yellow labs and rams are a good combination because they are too far apart in size and water conditions. I think your best bet would be looking for a peaceful new world Cichlid smaller than the Rainbow Cichlids(keyholes are a good option).

turfboss

Members
Welcome to the forum Danny - listen to these guys who are giving you suggestions and you will learn a lot in a very short time -