• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Exotic Aquatics Closing

Exotic Aquatics in Parkville announced on Facebook today that they will be closing it's doors in the near future.

They are currently running a 50% off all livestock sale and 75% off if you buy $400 or more. I haven't gotten a chance to see what they have available but hope to get out there tomorrow to grab up a couple fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Malawimania

Members
It's true, i've been there already but must say at this point its slim pickens on live stock, well at least for african cichlids.

-Steve

Rasta Fish

Members
Its true, I have been there over the weekend
Its sad, This is not the first time they closed/relocate I really hope that they find another spot and re-open.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Terrible news. I had only been a few times as the store was a good ways from my house but they always had good stock with reasonable prices.

Saying this is sad is an understatement. I truly hope we dont end up with just PetSmart and PetCo to feed our additction.. Oh wait there is always the internet... saved by technology!!!!

longstocking

Members
It's very sad... through the grape vine I have heard they are going to try and open a smaller store. So lets hope so!

I was the one who originally posted... I hoped it wasn't true but the owners of hot are friends with the owners of EA. They worked together a lot :(

I have also heard there are great deals on fish right now as well...

dogofwar

CCA Members
That's the problem - stores that cater to freshwater fishkeepers of greater than noob level of experience...are a dying breed.

The real wake up call for me was hearing about Capitol Aquarium in Sacramento closing after 52 years. It was an institution. And (both because it was a quick bike ride from my house and because you never knew what you would find in stock there), I probably went there 5 times per week. I bought Teleocichla monogramma there (they gave me a discount for buying a group). I bought Paretroplus maculatus there. I bought an African lungfish there. I bought Pelmatochromis there (they had them labeled as "Tilapia" ;)). I bought goodeids there... This was a real deal fish store. And it's gone.

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/52952/Capitol_Aquarium_closes_after_52_years

At some level, there's a fundamental incompatability of LFS and advanced hobbyists. None of the hundreds of people at last weekend's PVAS auction was willing to pay more than $80(!) for a (new or something near it) 55g set-up on a nice oak stand. Someone was complaining about the fish prices at the auction (much higher than last year!) when a bag of 6 super rare cories went for like $45. You mean like less than $8 each???? Highway robbery :rolleyes:

Retail establishments simply can't stay open at those prices. Without selling all manner of dog and other animal stuff. Which turns an LFS into something else entirely.

The question is: What is the future of our hobby without the LFS?

Matt

Pity that - easily the best LFS in the region in my estimation.

fischfan13

Banned
s

At some level, there's a fundamental incompatability of LFS and advanced hobbyists. None of the hundreds of people at last weekend's PVAS auction was willing to pay more than $80(!) for a (new or something near it) 55g set-up on a nice oak stand. Someone was complaining about the fish prices at the auction (much higher than last year!) when a bag of 6 super rare cories went for like $45. You mean like less than $8 each???? Highway robbery :rolleyes:

Matt

Shoot the auctioneer!

longstocking

Members
okay I will :p

HOT is doing just fine... but guys we need to support our local stores. Yes, some stuff is more expensive... but some stuff that I have asked them to bring in was cheaper than online prices! You have to go in though!!!

JasonC

Members
Swell... we just asked the same question at the same time... JINX!!!
http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12844

That's the problem - stores that cater to freshwater fishkeepers of greater than noob level of experience...are a dying breed.

The real wake up call for me was hearing about Capitol Aquarium in Sacramento closing after 52 years. It was an institution. And (both because it was a quick bike ride from my house and because you never knew what you would find in stock there), I probably went there 5 times per week. I bought Teleocichla monogramma there (they gave me a discount for buying a group). I bought Paretroplus maculatus there. I bought an African lungfish there. I bought Pelmatochromis there (they had them labeled as "Tilapia" ;)). I bought goodeids there... This was a real deal fish store. And it's gone.

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/52952/Capitol_Aquarium_closes_after_52_years

Retail establishments simply can't stay open at those prices. Without selling all manner of dog and other animal stuff. Which turns an LFS into something else entirely.

The question is: What is the future of our hobby without the LFS?

Matt