• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Choosing Show Fish

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Pat Kelly mentioned that somewhere around 75% of the fish in a fish show generally come from local club members. This means our members need to show as many fish as they can.

Size, condition and appearance are the biggest judging factors correct? Which of these are the most important? I ask because I am hesitant to show fish because I don't know if any of my fish are show quality.

Would a small fish in excellent condition and good appearance be worth bringing? What about a large fish that looks great, but doesn't have the best fin condition?

Most of my breeders have good appearance and condition, but aren't necessarily near "full-size." Most of my display tank males are large and look nice, but most have frayed fins. I don't have any extra tanks to be able to separate these fish to properly condition them, so should I consider bringing them?

Will there be a place to store show fish on sunday? If fish have to be removed from the show room by 10AM and people are staying to help break down the room and attend the auction, where can the fish boxes be kept since the hotel rooms won't be an option?

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from showing fish, I'm actually trying to find opinions that would encourage people to show fish. I also want people to feel confident about their choice to show fish. I entered a fish in the last Aquafest show and it was a great experience.

mrkillie

Members
Size is generally a small portion of the judging. A healthy fish that is well conditioned will show well whether it is 3 inches or 6 inches. I have seen fish that are 1/3 grown win classes with great color and finnage. That said, the best show fish will have all three, but if you are looking to fill out the show a little, small well colored fish will do very nicely.

It will also depend on the judge. Even though there are established judging standards (at least I assume there are for the ACA), each judge will see every entry differently. Of course, if each judge followed the standards, that wouldn't happen.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
The fish must be active and with a personality, not sitting in the corner afraid. I also believe they look for size in the sense of how it has matured for the particular species.

Nevertheless, fins have to be flawless and the color extraordinary for it's class.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Of course we want EVERYONE in the club to try to show their most Prized Possession at the Convention!!!

It's an unbelievable feeling to show off your fish and let the whole world see it. And if you win something for it, it's even better.

mrkillie

Members
Of course we want EVERYONE in the club to try to show their most Prized Possession at the Convention!!!

It's an unbelievable feeling to show off your fish and let the whole world see it. And if you win something for it, it's even better.

I would think that we would want everyone in the club to show any fish they can, not just their most prized possession!

fischfan13

Banned
Quick story on why everyone should show fish...

Aquafest 2009:
I didn't want to bring my prized Blue Gularis Killiefish because I was unsure of showing a fish for the first time. During the weekend one of the judges who had seen my Blue Gularis asked me where it was...I had left it home. After Aquafest was over I was informed by this judge that I would have won with that fish.

Show your fish.
Don't be too hard on yourself or your fish.
The members of CCA have some great looking fish...let's show them!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Amen - you have to play to win!

Don't be scared to show your fish... having a show with local water and in the local area is the best case scenario for showing your fish at an ACA convention. Imagine having to mule your fish several hours by car or plane...people (like Dan Ye and Jon Jennings) and still win!

Judging standards place weight on size, color, finnage and deportment. You should show mature fish, not babies or grow outs. But a decent-sized (not lunker) fish with good color, who's swimming around the tank...will do better than an over-the-hill giant with less color.

And you should do your best to make sure fish are in good shape (no split fins or missing scales, scrapes, etc.). I drop a divider in tanks with show fish to let them clean up. Or keep them with mild tank mates.

The key for show fish is treating them like kings and queens to get them in top condition...extra water changes...better food...etc. prior to the convention.

In the end, the fish that win are "Wow!" fish... We each have some. Bring one...or two...or seventeen.... if nothing more than for practice and to have a conversation starter!

Matt

Aquafest 2009:
I didn't want to bring my prized Blue Gularis Killiefish because I was unsure of showing a fish for the first time. During the weekend one of the judges who had seen my Blue Gularis asked me where it was...I had left it home. After Aquafest was over I was informed by this judge that I would have won with that fish.

Show your fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Also, don't worry if fish are rare or common...nice fish are nice fish...and should be judged accordingly...

Matt

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Also, don't worry if fish are rare or common...nice fish are nice fish...and should be judged accordingly...

Matt
You mean they're going to judge convicts too? Thanks for the sound advice. I'm looking forward to seeing people bring fish they are proud of.

mrkillie

Members

Matt

Yeah, key word there is should.

Aquafest 2009:

Show your fish.

Several times I have shown fish that were just a last minute thought...like "what the heck, I'll take it", and they won their class. Once, my afterthought entry even won best of show. As a judge, I didn't think it was the best of show-but I wasn't in on the BOS voting because I had an eligible entry.

Just saying-you never know what the competition is going to be, so you might as well bring anything you have and support the club.

mrkillie

Members
I found this on the FAAS website; of course, some of it does not apply:

Recommendations for Individuals Entering Fish in Competition

If you are putting on a show, you can avoid upset participants by communicating some best practices for entering fish.
  1. Choose sexually mature fish.
  2. Choose an average sized young adult; avoid oversized fish who would exhibit signs of old age.
  3. If in pairs, select fish of normal adult proportions to one another.
  4. Avoid diseased, deformed, injured or disproportioned fish.
  5. Check carefully for missing scales and broken irregular fish rays or split fins. In fishes with colored fins, look for pigmentation that may represent scar tissue or regeneration.
  6. Catch your fish carefully: a perfect fish injured in transit might well have been left homeA. big fish or fancy finned fish should be caught with a jar or plastic bag. Beware of sharp rocks, etc., in the show tank on which a frightened fish might injure himself.
  7. If at all possible, show the fish in the tank he is used to.
  8. Use common sense in decorating the tank the tank (if allowed). The fish is on display, not the tank; avoid highly contrasting gravels (including black). Most fish look best over red flint or brown natural gravel. Subdued lighting will keep the fish happier.
  9. If your judging committee does not object, feed a color intensifying food to angels, black tetras, etc. Those fish have a tendency to pale when frightened.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
We're getting down to the wire and we need to start registering those fish. I've been slack myself; plan on showing some fish, but haven't registered them yet. Couple of quick questions about the process:

-What happens if I register a fish, but don't end up bringing him? Do I get penalized? Can I substitute another fish for his slot?
-Is their location pre-determined? ie: If I register 5 fish in ABCDE order (and they are in the same class), do they have to be lined up ABCDE in the tanks once I get there?
-If I add a fish later, can he be put near my other fish?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the n00b questions, I haven't done this before. :)

Let's get those tanks filled, guys. Otherwise, like Pat said, we can all build one rack this weekend, then sit and drink beer the rest of the day. :p

dogofwar

CCA Members
NOTE: My responses based on showing fish since the mid-80s (and not the official show committee response):

-What happens if I register a fish, but don't end up bringing him? Do I get penalized? Can I substitute another fish for his slot?

You must take one shot for each fish that you register but don't bring ;) I've never had a problem substituting another fish in the same class. Across classes shouldn't be a problem but could require a little re-shuffling. Since Tony keeps only Malawi haps, this shouldn't be a problem for him.

-Is their location pre-determined? ie: If I register 5 fish in ABCDE order (and they are in the same class), do they have to be lined up ABCDE in the tanks once I get there?

Someone should tell you the tanks for your fish when you check in. The order of registration shouldn't matter.

-If I add a fish later, can he be put near my other fish?

Depends. You can always ask the folks setting up the show. If you bring your fish early, then there should be more flexibility.

Can't wait to see your fish at the show, Tony!

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
You must take one shot for each fish that you register but don't bring ;) I've never had a problem substituting another fish in the same class. Across classes shouldn't be a problem but could require a little re-shuffling. Since Tony keeps only Malawi haps, this shouldn't be a problem for him.

I am entering in 4 different classes, TYVM. :p

Can't wait to see your fish at the show, Tony!

Thanks Matt. Really doubt I'll win anything, but I'm proud of my fish and excited about doing this.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Big haps, little haps, haps with hollow skulls (peacocks) and rock haps (mbuna)? :lol:

EVERYONE should show at least one fish. Try it. Whether you win or don't...it's fun...it will be good practice for the future...and - last but not least - it supports the club...

Matt

I am entering in 4 different classes, TYVM. :p

Thanks Matt. Really doubt I'll win anything, but I'm proud of my fish and excited about doing this.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The person in charge of the fish show will usually have all tanks numbered or labled with species in advance. When you come in you will be assigned a tank. The fish are grouped by class.