• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Alternate route to Kennedy from the Beltway

Sonny Disposition

Just saw how many people fight traffic to get to meetings. That light at GA and Randolph is a major time waster. This is a little complicated at first, until you learn it. But it's well worth the extra effort:

Here's what you do, after getting off the GA ave (north) exit:

Go North on GA and turn right at the first intersection, Forest Glenn Road.

Follow Forest Glenn a half mile or so and turn left on to Sligo Creek Parkway.

Proceed through the next intersection, continuing on Sligo Creek Parkway, until the road ends at University Boulevard.

Turn Right, and get in the left hand lane. After about a quarter mile, turn left on to Arcola.

Follow Arcola about a mile, and make a right turn on to Kemp Mill Road. Proceed another mile or so until Randolph Road, and make a left.

Kennedy High school will be about a quarter mile on your right. Be careful not to miss it-- it comes up quick.

South bound at Randolph and GA usually goes a lot faster. (I have no idea why.)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks for posting this up Bob. It is definitely a better way to go if you are coming from the beltway.

chriscoli

Administrator
I live around there, and the University to Arcola to Kemp Mill is one of my favorite work arounds to avoid the light at Randolph and GA. We don't even get off on Georgia anymore...depending on which direction we're coming from we take either University or Connecticut up as far as we can before we have to cut over

Also, it's good to have an alternate route because I think starting in the next year or two, they're going to be completely redoing that intersection and it's going to be a huge mess for quite a while (....an even worse mess, that is.) I think the plan right now is for Georgia to go over Randolph. The utilities have been moved, but I think they've been held up finding a new home for the fire station at that intersection.

http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/apps/dot/pressrelease/PR_details.asp?PrID=7310

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've been meaning to try this route coming from DC, and think I'll probably take Piney Branch to Sligo, or to Dale Drive to Colesville to Sligo. Anything to avoid Georgia Avenue at that time of day.

HAHA, Georgia Ave northbound from the Beltway was a PITA 45 years ago when my family first moved to the Kennedy area!

If you're coming on the Beltway from the College Park side (as opposed to the 270 side), you can also just get off at New Hampshire Ave north, and then turn left on Randolph Rd. Of course, there are lights, etc., but nothing like GA Ave.