• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wooden racks

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
hey guys
My fishroom contains small tanks from 10 to 40 gallons and hopefully a 75 growout for my lungfish soon (plannng on getting her in a 125-180 as a long term home).
All of the tanks are on metal, store bought racks. I keep hearing people saying that wooden racks are much cheaper and custamizable and that sounds like exactly what i need. Save space since i can group tanks together and are much cheaper, only problem is, Im a 12 year old kid with little to no building experience. I dont mind having tanks laying side ways. I know this sounds weird but i kind of like the look of tanks side by side with only one side showing pretty neat and I almost prefer it over viewing from the front. i know that sounds quite odd. So I want to build one or 2 racks of 10s, a rack that can holds 20s and 15s, one that can hold 20 longs and 29s, maybe something that can hold 40 breeders, and a double rack for a 75. This is all long term kind of thing so Im in no rush and at the moment, I dont have the money to build this all at once. I basically want to know if these are too hard to build, how to build them, and if I should go with double or triple stacked tanks and the differenses in building beetween them. I dont mind having tanks that are 3' or less sideways but i dont particularly want a 4' 75 jutting out. I do my water changes with syphons, 5 gallon buckets, and a python water changer so i dont want anything that will be out of my reach if I stand on a step stool (Im 5'4").
Thanks for reading!

mab

Members
I just finished a 2"x4" rack containing 39 tanks. 15 10s, 12 15s, and 12 20 longs. I have a really nice step stool for the upper tanks. I'm willing to work with you on designing and building racks - once you get the basic steps it is rather easy and can even be done with just hand tools; however, a few power tools does make it easier.

Forester

Members
Dan you should get SketchUp its a great program that you can use to accurately display the rack that you want to breed

JasonC

Members
There have been several threads along this nature recently... Maybe we need to have a workshop day sometime this summer... design your rack, buy your materials, and meet those of us with tools and talent somewhere to do a group learn n' build? Only problem that i see is getting racks home... though with screws, maybe we could do a test assemble, and then partial breakdown for the home trip.

I know I have several stands/racks that I need to build, and have the tools/skills necessary to do it.. but the motivation to get on the stick? rofl!! Would be happy to teach some basic power tool skills and safety to a group in return for some donated motivation. ;P

dogofwar

CCA Members
We actually had a class (taught by Charlutz / Charlie) a few years ago on building wooden racks. He actually built one at the meeting (and we sold it in the auction).

Charlie are you out there?

Alternately, I'm a fan of the concrete block / 2 x 4 stand. Simple, flexible and returnable to places that sell blocks (when, for example, you go off to college in a couple of years).

Matt

JasonC

Members
Alternately, I'm a fan of the concrete block / 2 x 4 stand. Simple, flexible and returnable to places that sell blocks (when, for example, you go off to college in a couple of years).

Apt to cause fights with the S.O. when they are set up in entertaining areas... ;P

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
We actually had a class (taught by Charlutz / Charlie) a few years ago on building wooden racks. He actually built one at the meeting (and we sold it in the auction).

Charlie are you out there?

Matt

I was thinking of this method after I saw it in your fish room, would it also work for lots of small tanks?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I want to build a double 75 gallon stand so does anyone have a template or maybe even know a youtube video of someone building a double 75 gallon stand I could try to replicate?
thanks!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I want to build a double 75 gallon stand so does anyone have a template or maybe even know a youtube video of someone building a double 75 gallon stand I could try to replicate?
thanks!

Dan, I have a 2x4 stand with a 75 atop a 90 at home. I'll take a picture of it and post it up for you, along with dimensions.

As a matter of fact, will take pictures of my other stands racks as well. :)

Reed

Very Fishe
I am also planning on stacked 75 rack

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Here is a pick of my stand.
Also there's a few picks of my rack somewhere else on the forum...
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406316012.191355.jpg
That coffee table used to have a tank in it and a glass top, until my daughter was born...
I'll see if I can dig up a picture with the tank in it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406316012.191355.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Ok so my app is acting up do you still have my number? I can send you more pics
3BF07156-6B35-4A5C-AE39-E622EEF609A5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app