• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bulkhead caps or plugs

rich_one

Members
Not sure if I'm terming this right, but essentially, I just want to plug the holes in the built-in overflows of a 210 gallon tank. Can anyone shoot me a link or recommend where I can find some? I was referred to Jehmco, but am having a problem locating the items on their site. Google is giving me mixed results. I may simply be using the wrong terminology. Thanks in advance, folks!

-Rich

JasonC

Members
I Got threaded bulkhead plugs from marinedepot.com. I ended up calling them for product numbers to make sure I was getting the right items and they were very helpful.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
If your bulkheads are threaded, you should be able to fit a standard schedule 40 threaded cap into them. You can get these at home depot or lowes. The normal bulkhead sizes are 3/4" and 1". Cap the internal side, if possible.

If they are not threaded, you can either replace them with ones that are, or try being a bit creative. The best way to plug them is to cut short pieces of schedule 40 piping that fit into the bulkheads, and then cap these. You probably will not have to glue them, just push them down tightly. In theory, you could avoid the cap if you simply used pieces of pipe that were tall enough to come above the water level.

zcfish

Members
I have seen people silicon a piece of glass on the hole. Just another option for ya.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
I have seen people silicon a piece of glass on the hole. Just another option for ya.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

With the tank size(and potential water on the floor) I would not try this approach. It does look better for smaller thanks, but plugging the bulkhead is less risky.

jet

Members
One of my returning holes in my 160 gallon has a double threaded bulkhead with a scheduled 40 threaded cap with thread tape and works fine.

-Jet

JLW

CCA Members
+1 for Jesse's comment; gluing a piece of glass as patch could become a disaster. Plus, it's kind of hard to undo it when you decide you actually want to use the bulkheads. :)

ezrk

Members
+1 for Jesse's comment; gluing a piece of glass as patch could become a disaster. Plus, it's kind of hard to undo it when you decide you actually want to use the bulkheads. :)

Silicon comes up pretty easily with razor blades actually...

I would glue caps to the water side of the bulkheans adn probably screw caps ontot he tdry side just to be safe. Bulkeads and caps are both pretty cheap really so I would go for the safest solution.

Btw, I read and article recently that suggested thread tape was not the correct solution for sealing PVC to PVC thread, rather plumbers putty was. Was on a plumbing site and seemed reasonably, something about stretching the threads and causing leaks.

rich_one

Members
Does anyone know if I can remove the overflows somehow? If so, what method do you recommend? Someone suggested to me to use a heat gun (perhaps the kind for gluing?) to loosen up the silicon seal. Thinking about it, or might just leave well enough alone, and not put undo pressure on the plugged holes that are drilled behind the overflows, but thought I'd see what some of you think about it.

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd leave them in. That way you are ready to go if you ever decide to go to a sump. They aren't that bad to look at and you will only pick up minimal floor space for residents.

JLW

CCA Members
I would strongly recommend leaving it in. They're hard to get out without damaging the seal on the tank around the overflow. That, and as Jon said, once they're gone, they're gone ...

Personally, I would plumb a tank that had bulkheads .... I'm curious why you're not doing so?

rich_one

Members
I would strongly recommend leaving it in. They're hard to get out without damaging the seal on the tank around the overflow. That, and as Jon said, once they're gone, they're gone ...

Personally, I would plumb a tank that had bulkheads .... I'm curious why you're not doing so?
Yeah... I decided to keep the overflows and just plug the holes wth bulkheads and plugs.

As to why... it is simply because I have become very partial to Fluval FX5 canisters. I own two of them, love them, and plan on getting a third for this tank too. Maybe if I ever decide to go salt... which I have flirted with from time to time... I'll go with a sump. But for now, while I'm all freshwater, FX5/AC110 combo for me.

-Rich

TMSB805

Members
Thread resurrection!

Rich,
What sealing method did you end up using? I'm looking at doing something similar.

rich_one

Members
I measured the holes and bought new bulkheads and caps that fit. Screwed in the caps and all is well so far for a year and a half, no leaks!

-Rich