• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mag floats

spazmattik

Members
Or similar devices..

Do you use them? Think they are worth it? I have an old one that came with a used setup I bought. Finally tested it on my 125 tonight and it does an ok job of getting some of the brown algae off but not hardcore enough for the little green spots. The magnet on mine doesn't seem particularly strong so maybe I'm not using the right size for this tank or maybe its just a older design that's not as good. Just curious how many people are using them and how well they work.

chriscoli

Administrator
My experience is on par with yours. I like them overall, though. Good for the between major cleaning touch ups, useless on the green stuff. Very risky if you're a freak about scratches in the glass....one grain of sand in there and, well...you get it.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Mine takes off the green spot algae. I recently replaced the "scraper" on mine. Good as new now! As Chris said, you have to be careful with sand. I have managed to scratch my glass tank and acrylic (mag float made for acrylic) by catching a grain or two of sand.

spazmattik

Members
Thanks for sharing experiences everyone. Turns out I have the medium size which says its good for up to 125 gallons. Are you guys also using mag floats or are you using other brands as well? I see marinas are priced better and have a different shape/thickness that is suppose to help reach areas mag floats can't. Is anyone using this brand?