• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Running multiple filters is good

chris_todd

Members
We all know that sometimes stuff breaks, or filters will get clogged, so it's not a bad idea to run multiple filters on a tank. I have a story that demonstrates this.

On my overstocked African cichlid 90g (about 20+ fish, including three 3" oscars and a 12" pleco), I have an AC110, a Rena XP2, and an Eheim 2217. None of those alone could filter this tank (well, maybe the AC110 could, but I would be nervous), but together, they give me insurance.

A couple of weeks ago, I did my regular weekly 50% water change, and noticed the flow of the XP2 had diminished, signaling it was time to rinse the sponges (I always let the water level drain enough to see the output flow of my filters before I unplug them, for precisely this reason). So after refilling, I did not plug it back in again, fully intending to take it to the laundry room sink for the necessary maintenance. Well, I got distracted by my kids and forgot to go back and do that.

So the next weekend rolls around, I go to do the water change and realize the XP2 is still unplugged, and I have an XP2 full of anaerobic bacteria, and have been running the tank for a week without it. Easy enough to fix (cleaned it out and put in brand new sponges), but I averted potential disaster because I had insurance.

Moral of the story: redundancy is good!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I agree. Most would say I have way more than needed on my tanks - an Ac110, AC70, an ehiem 2026, and two sponges on my 75 for example, but the peace of mind I have in case something goes wrong is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I once forgot to plug in my fluval 404 after a water change. I remembered three days later. Fortunately, I run a large hydro sponge in the tank for use in power outages. The sponge kept my fish alive and the tank clean.

chriscoli

Administrator
Fortunately, I run a large hydro sponge in the tank for use in power outages. The sponge kept my fish alive and the tank clean.

EXACTLY! I run sponges (the square black poret ones) in almost all of my tanks in case of power outages. One of my HOB's got some sand in it and stopped. I didn't notice for several days...maybe even a week if it happened right after the last waterchange...and that tank was fine. THANK YOU REDUNDANCY!

Hawkman2000

Members
I run a penguin 350b on my 46 along with a AC20. I use the AC20 on a 15 that I set up when I have juvis, otherwise its always on the 46.