• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Duck Lip Disease

dogofwar

CCA Members
The male of the pair of wild Hericthys cyanoguttatus (Texas Cichlids) has developed some kind of weird mouth / lip condition. He looked great in quarantine for a couple of weeks but started exhibiting signs a couple of days ago.

Looks like several folks have had large New World fish develop this condition (Duck Lip Disease) and the best treatment seems to be an antibiotic for gram negative bacteria combined with Metro. Lower temperatures seem to slow the progression of the disease.

I got some kanomycin and Metro from Congressional Aquarium yesterday and moved the fish to a quarantine tank with a bunch of aeration and lower temps. Treatment with meds is every other day.

I've never experienced this disease before and none of the other fish in the tank (including his mate) are exhibiting it. Hopefully, he'll pull through!

Matt

blkmjk

Members
Please keep us updated on his progression. I've had it twice. In both cases I lost the fish. I would love to see him pull out of it.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think I caught it pretty early although he's definitely got it. I think it's some kind of growth in his mouth that keeps his mouth from going back to regular shape.

The bacteria that allegedly causes this really thrives at higher temps (above 82), which is why low temps are better than higher.

Only had this fish since the Nov meeting (got it in COA group buy) so hopefully he pulls through!

Matt

D-money

Members
Sure its a disease and not trauma from fighting/lip locking? I had my H.Deppi and my Lyonsi eyeing each other up last night and came home today and the Lyonsi's mouth is stretched out resembling a ducks mouth. Similar thing happened to a Nic and a male Cutteri awhile back....both died within a few days.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Hope he gets better. I've never experienced this, but have seen lots of threads on the various forums about it. I think Andrewtfw had a JD with it a few years back. Maybe he can add his experience.

JLW

CCA Members
Matt, be very careful when working around this tank and handling the fish. This is caused by a bacterial agent, and is one of a handful of zoonotic diseases that can be transmitted to humans. Women between the ages of about 15 - 30 seem to be most susceptible.

Duckface-2-460x570.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Hope he gets better. I've never experienced this, but have seen lots of threads on the various forums about it. I think Andrewtfw had a JD with it a few years back. Maybe he can add his experience.

I had it happen to a JD as Jon stated. It was fighting with others and had sustained major lip damage. When it "healed", the lip was extended. I lost him to an unrelated issue a few weeks later.

I also had it in a large flowerhorn. It did not seem to be bacterial related, but came as a result of the fh attacking an egg crate divider. I parted ways with that fish a few months later. Last I heard (3 years ago), it was doing fine, less the extended lip.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
After a couple of weeks of treatment, he's a little better. I added Furan II (the other treatment that seemed to work for folks) to the mix.

Matt