• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Howdy from Carroll County!!!

Hannibal

Members
Wooohoooooo I can post!! Thanks Pat!!!

Howdy! I am Chris, I live out in cow country in Hampstead MD. I have only been keeping fish for about 2 years now. It all started when my little one won a goldfish at the carnival. We picked up a 10 gallon, and when it outgrew that I bought a 20 gallon tank where it lived for a little while before it got bloat and died. But thanks to that $1 goldfish I am here today and am happy to have a new hobby!

I currently have 2 tanks up and running a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon, with a 20 gallon long just waiting in the wings to be set up or converted to a sump.

The 20 gallon is pretty much my wife's tank with balloon mollies, a black molly, a few neon tetras, and an a-hole of a red fantail guppy. I don't mess with it too much, I just keep the fish happy with water changes and the such.

I bought the 55 gallon in hopes of moving the goldfish into it but when it died I was not sure what I was going to do. After a trip to *GASP* P.S. I became interested in cichlids and picked up a few and put them in my tank without knowing anything about them. After three of them died I started doing some research and quickly broke down my tank and changed the setup more suited to cichlids. After a quick lesson from dead fish I had left in the tank a fan tail pleco, rainbow shark, auratus (i know know its a female), and a red zebra cichlid (think its a male?). After a few weeks everyone seemed to be getting along good so I joined another cichlid forum to gain more information about them. While on said forum, someone posted up from MD that they had some juvenile fish and were going to put them in a local pond... :wacko: I figured since I had the room I would contact the person and take the fish off their hands to save them from their death. What I was told was 12 fish turned into 16 fish by the time I picked them up. Those "12" fish turned out to be 8 red top cobalts, and 8 ob peacock cichlids. All of the fish are currently living peacefully in my 55 gallon tank.

I understand that I am fine for now...at least I think so... but have been looking for another tank to add to my collection. I think I want to pick up a 125 gallon 6ft tank because bigger is always better right?

I am always open to advise from people who have more knowledge than I do so if you have any advise on what I currently have please feel free to let me know!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum. You should come check out the club meeting tomorrow in Silver Spring.

I'm no expert when it comes to African cichlids. I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable member will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hannibal

Members
Thanks, I wish I could come tomorrow but I already have previous plans. I will be sure to keep up on the future meetings so that I can attend!

Jefft

Members
Welcome Hannibal!! Speaking as a southern boy transplanted to the North I have to say cow country in Maryland?? No way!! LOL

Jay

CCA Members
Hampstead

I lived in Hampstead until 1981 and graduated from North Carroll in 1976. I moved to York, Pa in 1981. The last time I visited Hampstead was before my mother died in 1995. A lot was changing in the 90s there and I bet it sti has changed even since. When I grew up, the addition to the old elementary school was just added. Bob's variety store was the main business along with the bank. The gulf station across from the bank, which changed to a shell mini market was the big hang out back then because it had a pinball machine. The bowling alley was also popular. The fire company moved from its old location across from the school to its present location. There was a farm that had cows on the corner of Upper Becklysville Road and main street just a short distance from the new fire hall. There was no shopping center at the lower end of town then. People drove to Hanover or to Westminster to do their shopping.

Jay
Cichlids Are Special