• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Guess what

fishman13

Members
I dont know if you guys know this but i found a new and faster way to strip a female. Put their head in the water. Hold their gills. And they spit all the eggs out. :D:D

minifoot77

Members
lemme fill your mouth with skittles and put you in a figure four choke and see if you don't spit them out :) the idea is to minimize stress not choke the fish....

fishman13

Members
well i did this by accident, I was transfering her over in the net and she just started to spit out all the eggs. I woulnt do it again though.

londonloco

Members
Hey Fish. When I was breeding Malawi's, I netted the fish, quickly put her upside down in the tank, and gently pushed under her mouth, which opened the mouth and the fry popped out. Took all of 10 seconds. I'm sure some here would think that was cruel also, but it worked, and I never lost a mama doing it this way.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Fish. When I was breeding Malawi's, I netted the fish, quickly put her upside down in the tank, and gently pushed under her mouth, which opened the mouth and the fry popped out. Took all of 10 seconds. I'm sure some here would think that was cruel also, but it worked, and I never lost a mama doing it this way.

That's how I do it. Sometimes I'll use a toothpick or tip of a small ziptie to help open their mouth on small fish or certain mbuna with strong jaws (Labeotropheus).

dogofwar

CCA Members
I thought it was a figure 4 leg lock (not recommended for stripping the fish either)...

I just net the female in a large, wet, brine shrimp net, hold her mouth open with a twistie and dunk her head in a basin of water. Takes about 10-15 seconds...

Matt

lemme fill your mouth with skittles and put you in a figure four choke and see if you don't spit them out :) the idea is to minimize stress not choke the fish....

eden2020

Members
I originally thought to entitle this "stripping" but figured the post would get lost in the gutter... ;)

Anyway- I have stripped many females and had very good luck with a couple options some of you have tried but recently I changed my strategy completely. I have a couple 10 gallon tanks that I quarantine the holding females in until they release naturally. Seems like I get the largest and healthiest fry this way. I even had two ruby red females holding together in a 10 gallon with rock and plants, one spit, the other continued to hold and no problem. As a matter of fact, the second female spit and I ended up with two moms and lots of fry swimming around. I feed the mom(s) for a couple days to get them ready for general population lol and pull them. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner..

-Marc and family..