• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wet dry filters and sump

Ading522

Members
Hello guys,

I'm looking to do a wet dry filter on one of my tanks..just because I want to experiment with different kinds of filtration on my tanks.. How should I know what size of a sump tank to do? Are there rules for that? Or can any size tank work? I'm looking to do this on a 50 gallon tank..thanks much!

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blkmjk

Members
Overflow your sump to a external drain. Don't experiment over carpet. Realize you will over flow it on the floor 10 times minimum. Have fun. Don't glue anything first go around. And when you do don't use primer its not needed at the pressures you'll run on your tank. Good luck.

Drew

Charlutz

Members
There are a number of considerations when figuring out what to use as a sump. Mostly, you want enough room for your filter media tower, plus whatever other equipment you also want to put in there. Secondly, you want a big enough sump so that the evaporation between water changes will not leave the sump dry. (The display tank water level stays the same, so any evaporation affects only the water level in the sump.)

Anyway, long low tanks work great for sumps. For a 50g, a 15g or 20g long would be great for most applications.

Also, you do not need to use a tank, though you can pick up a 15 or 20 pretty cheaply. Here's an article I wrote for the Biotope about my DIY sump for my 210g.

My DIY Sump

kevin911

Members
I got a proclear 300 and proclear 400 wet dry with media, just incase you decide to buy vs. Make...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App