• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquaponics system

ErnieG

Members
I'm going to make a aquaponics system for growing veggies, should I use koi, gold fish, or guppies? For those of you that don't know what a aquaponics system does I will break it down. Your using the fish waste to grow your veggies or plants, it's similar to a sump system but in this case your sump system is loaded with plant and veggies. You pump water from you pond/aquarium that the fish are living in to you pot/container of veggies where the water from the fish waste grows your veggies. Then you rig the water to come back to your pond/aquarium, so they work hand and hand. The fish waste grows the veggies/plants and the veggies/plants filter the clean for your fish.

Becca

Members
Use white cloud mountain minnows - they're a CARES fish and they breed readily so long as there's a little moss or something for the babies to hide in.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Are you growing outside? If so I would do blue tilapia then you can eat them. I've seen them done with trout and larger fish but those are huge set ups. Tilapia produce enough waste and don't mind being crowded. You could use molasses to add minerals that otherwise might be missing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ErnieG

Members
Use white cloud mountain minnows - they're a CARES fish and they breed readily so long as there's a little moss or something for the babies to hide in.

Sounds good, I'm using dollar store tubs. Basically 20 gallon tubs, using a 20 gallon tub for the fish and 10 gallon tub for the veggies. Any suggestions for on what to grow? This will be for my grandparents, they love when I get creative.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
This sounds like a great idea!
I'd do cory cats since they do well in schools, produce a decent amount of waste for your plants, and will readily spawn.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sounds good, I'm using dollar store tubs. Basically 20 gallon tubs, using a 20 gallon tub for the fish and 10 gallon tub for the veggies. Any suggestions for on what to grow? This will be for my grandparents, they love when I get creative.

I have clay pellets if you want some I think it's called hydroton it's basically expanded clay pellets.

Basil, tomatoes, lettuce are ok
plants that prefer dryer soil are a no.

What do they like?
How much light will the area get?
Will they harvest regularly or you want something low maintenance?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
High presure sodium light is the best for plants..

I have a lumitek 250w hps with adjustable ballast as well it can also take metal halide bulbs too
I was going to try my hand at it but never got around to it.
(Did the research on how to set up the siphon in the grow bed)
Let me know i might be willing to trade or sell for things to help finish the rack I'm building.

+1 on the great idea i tell people have awesome thoughts on different types of setups and making them happen... looking forward to seeing this one....

Becca

Members

I'm not really too familiar with aquaponics, so I've no clue what you could grow. The white clouds can winter over - a bunch did in my parents' pond this year, which surprised me because of how harsh the winter was.

An herb garden could be pretty and useful.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
It's not boring it's very informative, that info can educate someone who doesn't know about aquaponics. Great post localzoo, if your a fish lover any info about them can't be boring lol I love it all.

Lol thanks
Ohh to dream of a large green house with fish in display tanks with hidden plumbing going to grow beds....smh

ErnieG

Members
I have can't wait to get started on this project but I have to finish my dirted 10 gallon, finish my grandfathers 55gqllon, and add more fish to my dirted 20. Sounds like a lot but I will be done all of this by next weekend lol.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I have can't wait to get started on this project but I have to finish my dirted 10 gallon, finish my grandfathers 55gqllon, and add more fish to my dirted 20. Sounds like a lot but I will be done all of this by next weekend lol.

Really by next weekend that's ambitious