• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dropping Like Flies!

zackcrack00

Members
So my 29g angel tank has had one of my five small angels (quarter-sized) dying every day. Last night one, now two. I notice no symptoms or ripped fins, the only thing that has changed is the addition of 5 chili endlers, which were all very healthy and active, and remain to be, while the angels stay near the bottom of the tank. I am going to do a water change tonight when I get home, it's been two weeks since their last. (The tank is very lightly stocked) Anyone know what's happening?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Where did the Endlers come from?

Any rapid breathing or flared fins/indication that they may be working hard to stay upright?

The Endlers may have introduced an infection, parasite, or protozoan that the angels are more sensitive to.

verbal

CCA Members
what is the tank temp? it shouldn't be a big deal for the angels if it is low, but the might be more susceptible than the endlers.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
In the 1990s or around that time there was an angelfish disease that killed lots of angelfish and caused angelfish prices to skyrocket. It has disappeared as far as I know, but maybe it is still around. It killed angelfish one after another and there was not much you could do. I do not know what changed so most angelfish now survive. But you never hear of that angelfish disease anymore.

A more likely cause for what you are seeing is velvet disease. Velvet is somewhat like ich but very much smaller and, when bad, coats the whole body of any fish that gets it. I believe that when it completely covers the fish's body there is not much hope. The infection is real hard to see but in the right light appears to be a light cloudy film over the fish's body.

For killiefish which are really susceptible adding salt and raising the temperature works, particularly as a preventative.

Since you are already at 82, that should be high enough, but adding salt could help, one teaspoon per gallon per day for 3 days maximum.

A dip of the fish in salt water used in a marine tank can rid the fish of the velvet organisms immediately. But do not put them back in the tank that came from since that tank is infected. Put them in a quarantine tank with melafix and/or pimafix to help prevent infections in the wounds that the velvet left.

Look up fish velvet disease on the internet. It will give you lots of details.

What are your water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? That's always where you start looking when you have any issues.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Sorry to hear. Definitely do a waterchange and add purigen or carbon to the filters to help get rid of what ever is causing this.

Becca

Members
In the 1990s or around that time there was an angelfish disease that killed lots of angelfish and caused angelfish prices to skyrocket. It has disappeared as far as I know, but maybe it is still around. It killed angelfish one after another and there was not much you could do. I do not know what changed so most angelfish now survive. But you never hear of that angelfish disease anymore.

A more likely cause for what you are seeing is velvet disease. Velvet is somewhat like ich but very much smaller and, when bad, coats the whole body of any fish that gets it. I believe that when it completely covers the fish's body there is not much hope. The infection is real hard to see but in the right light appears to be a light cloudy film over the fish's body.

For killiefish which are really susceptible adding salt and raising the temperature works, particularly as a preventative.

Since you are already at 82, that should be high enough, but adding salt could help, one teaspoon per gallon per day for 3 days maximum.

A dip of the fish in salt water used in a marine tank can rid the fish of the velvet organisms immediately. But do not put them back in the tank that came from since that tank is infected. Put them in a quarantine tank with melafix and/or pimafix to help prevent infections in the wounds that the velvet left.

Look up fish velvet disease on the internet. It will give you lots of details.

This is what shut down the hatchery around 2005 - it was REALLY sad.