• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wanted mbuna/peacock breeders

Jmoore

Members
I am in the process of setting up 5 30 gall on breeders and am thinking about stocking them with a mbuna breeder group and peacock group for each tank... Each tank is being filtered 12 times an hour. If you have a breeding group of either please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Like the reverse trio of peacocks I sold you (cheap) at the meeting on Saturday that you flipped for a profit 15 minutes after you got them from me?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Reap what you sow

Reed and I are figuring out a deal for price difference

Sounds like you owe Tony the difference rather than Reed. If someone did that to me I wouldn't give them the time of day going forward, but doing it to one of my friends, well, that's actually worse.

Congratulations - just updated my cosmology and you have effectively ceased to exist unless and until such time as you set this to rights.

daninmd

Members
Hey, we all made mistakes when we were kids...lets give him a chance to make it right.

That said, I think you might want to focus on keeping fish for the enjoyment of it, not as a money making enterprise - especially when it involves buying/selling amongst friends. Keep a species for a year or two and learn about them in your tank, instead of focusing on breeding and selling off fry...just my two cents

dogofwar

CCA Members
+1

There's nothing better than trying to make a buck off of fishkeeping to turn a wonderful hobby into something other than enjoyable.

Ironically, becoming really good at keeping and breeding fish tends to make the fish that you sell that much more desired.

Matt

That said, I think you might want to focus on keeping fish for the enjoyment of it, not as a money making enterprise - especially when it involves buying/selling amongst friends. Keep a species for a year or two and learn about them in your tank, instead of focusing on breeding and selling off fry...just my two cents

Forester

Members
I mean after multiple years of keeping fish you end up breeding some and then selling the offspring. But in the end it is really hard and not enjoyable if the only reason you have fish is to try to make money.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zackcrack00

Members
The only reason I want to sell fry is because that is one of my ONLY income sources. I really appreciate watching my Rams and Platys.

JasonC

Members
Paper routes, mowing lawns, washing cars.. these are *much* more lucrative endeavors when you run the $$ per hour numbers. Don't want to steer you away from it if you really want to do it, but don't expect to make more than your milk money on it.

Forester

Members
Well said. Although i have made quite a bit it took me almost 3 years to get to the point where i was making money. So just be patient and go slow and eventually you will get there.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Paper routes, mowing lawns, washing cars.. these are *much* more lucrative endeavors when you run the $$ per hour numbers. Don't want to steer you away from it if you really want to do it, but don't expect to make more than your milk money on it.

So true. This goes for any animal, not just fish. Breeding an animal is about love of the animal and not profit. The things you have to do to really turn a profit often conflict with the well-being of the animal.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
+1

+1

There's nothing better than trying to make a buck off of fishkeeping to turn a wonderful hobby into something other than enjoyable.

Ironically, becoming really good at keeping and breeding fish tends to make the fish that you sell that much more desired.

Matt

Let's say you get a breeding pair, Zack, of a particular fish that people actually want. You get fry and by some miracle some make it. You feed them and change their water and keep them alive for, say, six months for them to be big enough to legitimately sell, and, especially to sex, so that someone will want to buy them. There are virtually no local fish stores giving credit for fish anymore, so your only option is this forum or a CCA auction. If you haven't noticed, our fish don't sell for near their price in a fish store. So maybe you sell two or three fish for maybe $10 for the group (two if they are a pairing fish; three or more if they have harems. Occasionally you'll have a spectacular enough male fish that someone will want just that.) If you break that down by the number of days it took to raise them, you're making 10 cents a day.

So breeding is fine, but making money is unlikely. If you're serious, you should talk to Matt or Tony to find out a particularly desireable fish whose fry would be valuable. A lot of the easiest to breed are over-represented in the club and you won't even be able to give them away.