• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Will any these fish work

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I might delay getting a 55 gallon and continue to work with this 37 gallon tank. In any case, I would like some suggestions for tank mates using the fish from this cookie cutter setup for 29 gallon tank.

Tanganyika Mini-Community

Same as 20 gallon long with the exception of the
cookie cutter below.

If you wanted three pairs (groups) of fish:
• 'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis, multifasciatus, meleagris, ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus, similis, Neolamprologus signatus,
Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps Shell"
• Neolamprologus caudopunctatus (non-Shellies)
• Julidiochromis ornatus or transcriptus
• Telmatochromis bifrenatus, brichardi or vittatus
• Paracyprichromis nigripinnis,
• Xenotilapia flavipinnis

Victoria & Malawi Combo

• Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green" - trio
• Metriaclima lanisticola - 5
• Ancistrus temminckii "Bristlenose Pleco" - 2

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Tre,

I think that the Vic/Malawi combo may be ok in a 29. The lanisticola are pretty uncommon, but not very aggressive for mbuna. The Ruby greens aren't bad either. It would be tight in a 29, but would likely be ok.

I haven't kept all those Tangs, but think that two choices may be better than three.

Paracyps are super cool, but you should have a group of 6+ and that tank is a bit small fro them. They may also get bullied by whatever else was in the tank (short of the Altolamprologus, who won't really mess with anyone). While they stay in the water column or in high caves/glass during the day, they rest on the bottom at night. A colony of multis or a pair of Julidochromis defending fry would not likely be cool with this.

Christine would probably have better advice than me....

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Hey Tre,

I think that the Vic/Malawi combo may be ok in a 29. The lanisticola are pretty uncommon, but not very aggressive for mbuna. The Ruby greens aren't bad either. It would be tight in a 29, but would likely be ok.

I haven't kept all those Tangs, but think that two choices may be better than three.

Paracyps are super cool, but you should have a group of 6+ and that tank is a bit small fro them. They may also get bullied by whatever else was in the tank (short of the Altolamprologus, who won't really mess with anyone). While they stay in the water column or in high caves/glass during the day, they rest on the bottom at night. A colony of multis or a pair of Julidochromis defending fry would not likely be cool with this.

Christine would probably have better advice than me....

Wow, this tank is really limited as to what it can accommodate and what I would like. I think I will just wait a few more months, especially with a baby on the way in a few weeks.

Tony

Wow, this tank is really limited as to what it can accommodate and what I would like. I think I will just wait a few more months, especially with a baby on the way in a few weeks.

10-4, bud. 55 would be infinitely better for an African setup imo.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Thanks. In the meantime, the 37 gallon tank will either become a fantastic home to a betta or tropical community tank.

Tony

Don't let me scare you away.. you could definitely set up a pretty awesome Tang tank in a 29.... just stick with two species though.

chriscoli

Administrator
I don't like to do Vics in small tanks....at their best, they are super energetic and the less spaztic fish need a place to hang out without getting constantly run over. At their worst, they're just major A-holes. I like to keep them in a 4 ft. tank.

As for the tangs....one of my favorite tanks is a 40B with a trio of comprecisseps, N. caudopunctatus and Julies....so yeah, maybe 2 kinds of tangs in a 29.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I don't like to do Vics in small tanks....at their best, they are super energetic and the less spaztic fish need a place to hang out without getting constantly run over. At their worst, they're just major A-holes. I like to keep them in a 4 ft. tank.

As for the tangs....one of my favorite tanks is a 40B with a trio of comprecisseps, N. caudopunctatus and Julies....so yeah, maybe 2 kinds of tangs in a 29.

Thanks Chris. I am sending a pm regarding any fish you may have for sale.