• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Visiting Doug's fish room

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Thank you for letting us come by and getting my wife more interested in the hobby (or should I thank your fish ).
While she looked at the fish I was intrigued with the your set up. I really liked you filtration and awesome use of coke bottles.
So 3100+ gallons then some. and I'm not counting the empty tanks lying around LOL!

Doug explaining things to my wife
41A842AD-5A23-444A-8866-8C8E23259D2E-532-000000D28106D2B7_zps46bdddfb.jpg
[/IMG]
Pair that was spawning but got distracted watching us
703ED9BA-E827-4A9C-8B3A-78C69C9DCF71-532-000000C89E98EBAE_zps874ea508.jpg
[/IMG]
Sump, UV, and RO
31CC8240-38AC-4454-9849-8A81939F2B1D-532-000000C7EBCF9ED5_zps80a15f24.jpg
[/IMG]
Bacterial filter and their vodka lo
4737FE84-F2AF-4CA2-9285-4A62DCDED1EF-532-000000C88D4748D2_zpsca609155.jpg
[/IMG]
And two of a few of his adopted discus
08008669-433F-4B0D-A4D4-309A59421378-532-000000C87A2F24B0_zps17219148.jpg
[/IMG]
As for more pictures of angels...you all have seen how beautiful they are if you missed the meeting what can I say? pics won't do them justice

Thank you for for permission to post pics as well. Ps you cars are bad@@$ Especially the Bronco

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks for sharing. My kids have been asking about getting some angels since the meeting. Maybe a trip over to Doug's is in order!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
It's a carbon source
If I remember correctly it helps the bacterial biomass to increase rapidly in turn more bacteria = means more feeding for the fish because the waste produced cans be handled. Dealing with (No3 and Po4). It usually deals with the nitrates first by stripping the oxygen creating nitrogen gas which is easier to remove from the water.

Usually done in reef keeping. Hope someone else can provide more details and not oversimplify it like I just did.

verbal

CCA Members
It usually deals with the nitrates first by stripping the oxygen creating nitrogen gas which is easier to remove from the water.

Usually done in reef keeping. Hope someone else can provide more details and not oversimplify it like I just did.

The air is 78% nitrogen, so whether it dissolves in the water or dissipates in the air, there isn't any impact to the fish or humans. A quick look shows it to be about 1/2 as soluble as O2.

I remember the low turnover that is required to have the bacteria go aerobic and convert nitrogen.

Vodka is used primarily since ants love sugar water. There are other products you can use, waste water plants are moving away from methanol since it can explode and going to MicroC http://www.eosenvironmental.com/product/ .Maybe it is the insurance companies forcing this, not sure but there are plenty of reports of explosions at waste water treatment plants.

I am thinking about using MicroC too since I could finely tune the carbon added mainly by mixing my own stock solutions. This would also allow me to make smaller "hobbyist" sized units with a dosing pump. If you remember from the meeting, the carbon required must be matched to nitrate added to the filter and total nitrate = nitrate level input * flowrate. This is why people have issues with denitrators.

The carbon is required as the "food" for the aerobic bacteria we forced into going into an anaerobic state due to the low water flow and the dissolved oxygen being used in the upper regions converting NH4 to NO3. The bacteria used to remove nitrogen altogether has to strip off an O (making nitrite again) but much prefers stripping off the O2 from nitrite.

The carbon is then used to create CO2 which when combined with the OH hydroxides results in bicarbonates which gives back the alkalinity lost in the the nitrification cycle we all know and love.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Vodka is used primarily since ants love sugar water. There are other products you can use, waste water plants are moving away from methanol since it can explode and going to MicroC http://www.eosenvironmental.com/product/ .Maybe it is the insurance companies forcing this, not sure but there are plenty of reports of explosions at waste water treatment plants.

I am thinking about using MicroC too since I could finely tune the carbon added mainly by mixing my own stock solutions. This would also allow me to make smaller "hobbyist" sized units with a dosing pump. If you remember from the meeting, the carbon required must be matched to nitrate added to the filter and total nitrate = nitrate level input * flowrate. This is why people have issues with denitrators.

The carbon is required as the "food" for the aerobic bacteria we forced into going into an anaerobic state due to the low water flow and the dissolved oxygen being used in the upper regions converting NH4 to NO3. The bacteria used to remove nitrogen altogether has to strip off an O (making nitrite again) but much prefers stripping off the O2 from nitrite.

The carbon is then used to create CO2 which when combined with the OH hydroxides results in bicarbonates which gives back the alkalinity lost in the the nitrification cycle we all know and love.

Easy and straight forward

Just ordered supplies to make a small 5g sized one of these. If I can get someone to volunteer time needed to do 4 nitrate tests a day, I could loan it out for testing. The real sunk cost is the dosing pump. Would be fine for a 50g tank but looking for one with a lot of nitrates and non-prized fish. Although I think they are safe and have had it up for over a year, your mileage may vary.