• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

White Cloud Minnows

Becca

Members
Yes. I could sell you 5 for $10. I breed them and have a few extras.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
I've been keeping them for a while, and actually had them spawn for me a few times. Mine are a mix of some that I got from Rachel, and some from Andrew B.

I love these fish, they are fantastic little guys! They do like a winter cool-down to keep them colored up.

How many are you looking for? I don't have a ton of extras, but a few are available if you don't find a better source.

5 from Becca sound great. I wasn't planning on heating the tank. It should stay around 70. Becca -- I'll be setting the tank up next weekend maybe I can swing by after that and pick them up.

Becca

Members
5 from Becca sound great. I wasn't planning on heating the tank. It should stay around 70. Becca -- I'll be setting the tank up next weekend maybe I can swing by after that and pick them up.

Yep, just give me a call and let me know.

I keep mine at room temperature year-round. In the summer it's mid 70's, winter it's 60's. They're in the same tank where I keep the blue pearl shrimp and do not pick at shrimp at all. If they have a bit of moss, they will reproduce constantly and you'll see a fry pop up here or there. They don't eat their fry.

My parents have some of the gold variety that I bought for mosquito control in their pond - those guys have wintered over 2 years in a row. They started with 6 of them and they probably have about 20 now.

Becca

Members
Becca -- perfect. The shrimp do OK at that temp?

I haven't had any issues. My fish room shares space with the heating system and water heater, so it's warmer than the rest of the house in the winter. Probably it stays between 65 and 70 even when the rest of the house is cooler.

Sonny Disposition

I have lots. When the temperature goes above 80, I start to get losses, but there fine in an unheated tank. Temperatures down in the 50s won't bother them. Jerry Hoffman in PVAS has had them survive a light cover of ice in his backyard pond.

skanda

Members
I have had sucess breeding them outdoors. However, this year, when I put them outdoors in a 29 gallon tank and also in my 55 gallon pond, they were doing fine for a while and then I started to experience losses. None of the tanks or pond was aerated of filtered, but this was the case when I did it in the previous years as well. THe pond was around 3 weeks old and had clean water.

In the pond I placed 7 gold white clouds and was eventually left with 5. I then transefered them to 29 gallon tank that I keep indoors in the kitchen, temp around 75oF,(cycled around 2 weeks ago) and kept them with some endlers. To this tank I also added the five extras I got from Bob Beck and and they were doing fine for around 10 days when I had 2 causalities. There mouths were open when I found them. Other fish are doing fine. I moved the remaining 5 gold and 3 regular in a bucket with a breeding mesh, and sponge filter, and placed outdoors with the hopes of breeding. 5 days later 2 more casualties.

Then I decided to move them to my 40 gallon in the basement, them around 68oF and so far they are doing fine.

I have had so much pleasure keeping and breeding this fish in the past, and I cant figure out why this is happening? Are they not able to withstand the outdoor temps? This cant be as we have not had any extemely hot days this summer. I really would like to breed these again. Has anyone had sucess breeding them in a species only basement tank indoors? I have a 40 gallon breeder in basement, sponge filter snd lots of cover plants. Would they breed here indoors in the summe?
Cant figure out why they do not survivid and bred outdoors. Could it be that it is weaker strain due to genetic interbeeding?

BTW have thw following for trade for any whiteclouds:

Trio of Leleupi - 2.3-3"
5 electric yellow labs - 3"
Black lantern Platy - plenty

Cheers

Becca

Members
I have had sucess breeding them outdoors. However, this year, when I put them outdoors in a 29 gallon tank and also in my 55 gallon pond, they were doing fine for a while and then I started to experience losses. None of the tanks or pond was aerated of filtered, but this was the case when I did it in the previous years as well. THe pond was around 3 weeks old and had clean water.

In the pond I placed 7 gold white clouds and was eventually left with 5. I then transefered them to 29 gallon tank that I keep indoors in the kitchen, temp around 75oF,(cycled around 2 weeks ago) and kept them with some endlers. To this tank I also added the five extras I got from Bob Beck and and they were doing fine for around 10 days when I had 2 causalities. There mouths were open when I found them. Other fish are doing fine. I moved the remaining 5 gold and 3 regular in a bucket with a breeding mesh, and sponge filter, and placed outdoors with the hopes of breeding. 5 days later 2 more casualties.

Then I decided to move them to my 40 gallon in the basement, them around 68oF and so far they are doing fine.

I have had so much pleasure keeping and breeding this fish in the past, and I cant figure out why this is happening? Are they not able to withstand the outdoor temps? This cant be as we have not had any extemely hot days this summer. I really would like to breed these again. Has anyone had sucess breeding them in a species only basement tank indoors? I have a 40 gallon breeder in basement, sponge filter snd lots of cover plants. Would they breed here indoors in the summe?
Cant figure out why they do not survivid and bred outdoors. Could it be that it is weaker strain due to genetic interbeeding?

BTW have thw following for trade for any whiteclouds:

Trio of Leleupi - 2.3-3"
5 electric yellow labs - 3"
Black lantern Platy - plenty

Cheers

Yeah, I breed mine indoors because they don't withstand really hot temps well, unless they're in a pond with some depth. It sounds to me like they were sick - maybe a parasite or bacterial thing. The non-ideal temps might have made them more susceptible/less capable of overcoming it than the other fish you threw them in with.

Was down to four adults and the two baby white clouds this morning. So sign of the missing one. Tonight down to three adults. Found the big one in the filter of the Fluval Spec (which is open and on the side of the tank). Not sure how that happened. I assume the other missing one jumped and wasn't lucky enough to end up in the filter. Can't find a body anywhere. :(

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Was down to four adults and the two baby white clouds this morning. So sign of the missing one. Tonight down to three adults. Found the big one in the filter of the Fluval Spec (which is open and on the side of the tank). Not sure how that happened. I assume the other missing one jumped and wasn't lucky enough to end up in the filter. Can't find a body anywhere. :(
Sorry to here, is it possible that one of your dogs ate it? My dog as eaten a few jumpers before I could get to them