• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Changing from gravel to CaribSea sand...

aprill85

Members
I know I have lots of questions today but I want to get this right, I currently have colorful gravel in my tank and am changing to CaribSea natural sand....is there anything I need to know, or any tips you can give me to make sure I do this the most appropriate way possible? I wanted a more natural environment for my Cichlids, but I don't want to hurt them in the process....thanks for all y'all help so far, you guys definitely are making me feel welcome here :)

Aprill :)

uploadfromtaptalk1408384392987.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408384413801.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I changed out the gravel in my 180 to sand without removing any fish. I did a good gravel cleaning, then scooped it out using a cup. I removed about 80% of the water in the tank, added the sand, then filled the tank back up. Worked out fine.

aprill85

Members
I changed out the gravel in my 180 to sand without removing any fish. I did a good gravel cleaning, then scooped it out using a cup. I removed about 80% of the water in the tank, added the sand, then filled the tank back up. Worked out fine.

Woah! That's GENIUS! I had no idea I could do that. Thanks for that, you saved me from having to chase my fish around. One of my fish likes to dig......will this affect her negatively at all? It seems to keep her occupied (maybe that's just me).

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
When I was switching my 120 from gravel to tile, I basically did what Jon did except I didn't drain any water out. I didn't remove the fish, didn't turn off the heaters, didn't even turn off the filter. I scooped it out with a large net, it worked surprisingly well. Later i figured out the tile was not aquarium safe and had some lethal chemicals in it leading to the death of a large silver arowana, group of gymno geophagus balzanii, and a huge chocolate cichlid. I rapidly took out the tile and I added sand. I turned off the filters and heaters and drained the tank 50% and the tank has had sand for a year and no fish have died since, well, no fish in that tank have died since.
Good luck!

aprill85

Members
Its so cloudy!!! Put the sand in, started the pump and I can't see through the water at all! Fish are out the tank, kinda panicked and removed them. They are in containers with air stones, waiting for the calm....

verbal

CCA Members
What kind of filter? If outputs can be directed, they probably need to be away from the sand. It will probably clear up in a couple days.

aprill85

Members
What kind of filter? If outputs can be directed, they probably need to be away from the sand. It will probably clear up in a couple days.

Tetra Whisper Power Filter. Its a 10-30 gal filter that came with the tank. I just really don't like that its so cloudy. Seems dirty....wish I would have done more research before trying this.

neut

Members
Rinse out the filter pad...and let it run. Dust will settle.

Matt
+2. You could also add some extra filter floss to whatever room you have in the filter-- will help with the dust. Water changes can help also, but if the tank/filter is a fairly new setup you don't want to overdo them to the point of upsetting your tank.

Lot of people go through that with sand... I would have suggested rinsing it first, but I came to this thread too late for that... The dust should settle and filter out in time and will ultimately make a more natural environment. A lot of cichlids really enjoy sand, easier for them to sift through than most gravel. You should also find you don't need to clean sand as often as gravel. It just doesn't allow as much dirt to settle into it and through it. Gravel tanks I always siphoned with every water change. For the most part my sand bottom tanks rarely need it.

God bless Pfs ..... Threads like these are what scared me away from sand for so long
I always rinse sand first, even pfs. I might be a little OCD about it but while I find some pfs hardly needs it, some does, though not as much as most other sand. It's also nice to have a micron filter you can pop on the tank, like in a simple HOT Magnum. :D