• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Is this a male or female?

Cbaker

Members
Can someone please tell me if this is a male or a female Borleyi? Also this T-Reef is it a male or female?

Thanks for your help.

Bol.jpg

T- reef.jpg

Borleyi looks male to me. They take a while to color up how big is he. Ever vent a fish before?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cbaker

Members
Thanks for your input guys. I thought they were both males because thats what i bought them as. Dan, no i've never Vent a fish?

It's the only reliable way to determine gender good to know if you trying to keep all males

The vent is where either eggs or sperm come out of the fish. There are two hole on the underside of a fish the hole closer to the front of the fish is the anus the hole closer to the rear is the vent. Female fush have a larger vent than males because eggs are larger than sperm. The anus is identical. Ime the fish will have to be atleast 2.5-3 inches you will remove the fish and gently with wet hands flip him over with his tail facing you the the hole towards the head is the anus and appears as a circle the hole closer to you is the vent. Ime if the vent is larger than or equal to the size of the anus you have a female if its smaller you have a male. This process is near impossible to be effective from just reading about it and trying. Further visual reference is needed google how to vent a cichlid and study the pictures also there is a pretty good youtube vid that shows the whole process. The bigger the fish the easier it is you will get better with practice I use a 20× mag loop and very bright light on smaller fish I also try to take a picture or two for two reasons- you can return the fish to water and refernce the pictures as opposed to removing the fish several time also a second opinion always helps so I post the pictures. Good luck

Hannibal

Members
If you want a male Taiwan Reef let me know. I keep a breeding group of these guys and currently have about 15 or so juvies. Once I am able to determine a male I will let you know if interested.

Cbaker

Members
Thanks Chris. I got a male a week or so ago from Reed who sold me the other one. Suprisingly the other one is a male too he stating to show some color. They are actually brothers.

Thanks Reed.